Friday, April 21, 2006

"Only dead fish go with the flow." (From a plaque in a Welsh pub.)..................

It's been a while since I talked about a book I am reading. This may be explained by the fact that there have been many things vying for my attention as of late. The pile of reading material beside my chair keeps growing and growing........ Anyway, you are going to love the title of the book that I found the above quote in........ Improv Wisdom Don't Prepare, Just Show Up, Written by Patricia Ryan Madson (And recommended by Jana Stanfield.)

I have only read about a third of the book, but the point I think she is making is that life is one big improv. Another way to look at this is with the saying, "Shit Happens." How true is that?

Never more true than this morning........ It has been four hours since I typed the above paragraph, and Boy! Has it been happening! ( Do you think I brought it on by thinking the above statement?..... Na........) I'll spare you the details, and try to pick up where I left off.

I am a planner. I like to know what I need to do, as well as when, and how I plan to do it. Why is it then that no matter how well planned, life has a way of meandering wherever it feels like? I have come to believe that a sign of maturity is learning how to roll with life's punches. Some days I do this better than other days. Some days I just feel like having one giant two-year-old temper tantrum. (And once in a while do just that!)

One of my many phone calls this morning was one of the hospice workers canceling her scheduled appointment with one of our residents. She told me she had not gotten her TB test as of yet, and saved me lots of grief. How? Next Friday, I will be visited by the agency that licenses Adult Foster Care. It is time to renew my license, and it totally slipped my mind that (my) Mister and I also need to have our TB test updated. We still have time to get it done before next Friday, instead of having to do a bunch of follow-up paper work. Of course there are already six different things on the calendar for Monday and Wednesday of next week, but we figured out Monday, and as I told (my) Mister "I'll worry about Wednesday after we get through Monday.

When the stress gets too high, I figure I have two choices. (Since killings is both a sin, and illegal.) I can either laugh or cry. Not only does crying ruin one's make-up, (Ya! Like I wear make-up.) and makes one look like crap, it's a terrible waste of good hydration. Laughter, on the other hand, is good exercise not only for your face and belly muscles, but also for your soul. There are times when I take life way too seriously. I know I am doing this when I am feeling (emotionally) miserable day after day. This is when I need to remind myself that as important a ripple in the big pond of life that I may be....... I am just one ripple, and it is okay to let the rest of the ripples in the pond help me out now and then. It is even okay to let the rest of the ripples carry me for awhile. I don't have to do it all? What a concept! Maybe I'll give it a try...... Just as soon as I finish laughing at my crazy life. Feel free to join in.

No comments: