Sunday, April 09, 2006

Are you stuck in a rut? (and not presently in the middle of a trail run...............)

I would be the first one to admit that I take great comfort in routine, and don't like the winds of change. Akin to opening the windows to let the cool spring breeze blow through the house to remove the stale winter air, change can be a good thing. We usually don't agree with that statement until after the fact.

Years ago I heard a story about a young bride that was learning to cook a roast. As she sat watching her mother preparing the roast for the oven, she ask her why she cut it in half. Her mother replied that she did so because that is the way her mother did it. The next time the young bride saw her Grandmother, she ask why she cut the roast in half before cooking it. Again, she got the answer, "I don't know why you do it, it is just the way my mother always did it." Several weeks went by, and the young bride went to visit her Great-Grandmother. "Grandma," she ask. Why do you cut the roast in half before you cook it?" "What are you talking about?" Her Great-Grandmother questioned. "Well," the young bride said. "Mom was teaching me how to cook a roast, and she said you have to cut it in half before putting it in the pan. I ask her why, and she said because that was how her mom did it. Grandma said the same thing. So why did you cut it in half?" Her Great-Grandmother gave her a smile, and replied, "Because I didn't have a pan big enought to fit the whole roast into."

How many things do we do over and over without even thinking about it? If questioned about our behaviors, would our reasons support them? Just think about how opening up to change, or questioning our routine behaviors might freshen up our lives.

Why am I thinking about this subject?

A big part of my life, is keeping things very routine and consistant for my residents. They all have their own areas for eating, sleeping, sitting, etc.... Part of this is to help reduce the spread of germs, part of this is because we all need our own space that no one else invades. A big part of this is because when you are working with someone who is memory impaired, routine not only helps them to feel secure, it helps them retain their independence. Using the same color linens, drinking out of the same (type of) cup, pills, and meals at the same time. All musts in my line of work. Favorite television shows being interuped can cause major meltdowns. ( I have learned to have a back-up tape of The price is Right, and Lawrence Welk to avoid this.) In my quest towards samness for the good of the residents, I am beginning to wonder if I am growing stale? Right now, I have the perfect excuse to keep every little thing in my life the same, avoiding change like the plague, but is this a good thing? How can one grow with out a healthy measure of change?

Did you recognize yourself in any of the above? Are you one of us that enjoy keeping a tight little handle on everything, and are thrown for a loop if someone upsets the apple cart? Do you go with the flow of life, or you more of an I'm drowning, but I refuse to learn how to swim kinda guy/gal? Is the world going to come to a standstill, because I post my blog BEFORE I check my e-mail? (It is surprising what a total control freak I am. What? You're not all that surprised?)

I have not spent much time on this thought, and have no idea at this point in time as to what I should mix up and/or change. I do know, that by writing it down I have set my intention to do so. Now, all I have to do is stay aware and listen to answer the question as to what. Stay in touch to find out what gifts I am rewarded with by setting my intention to revitalize my soul.

1 comment:

Has to be me said...

Hi Pat

Loved the story on the young bride learning abt the toast! Yup we just tend to do so many things w/o thinking....it is just a routine!:)