Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's harder than it sounds................

Did I tell you that I am training for my next race? It is a seventy-eight mile trail run. Before you go saying "The girl is nuts.", (For the.... How many times have you said that?) the race is ran in teams of six people, with each person doing a minimum of ten miles. Sounds much more managable now doesn't it? That's what I thought until I did my first ever trail run yesterday afternoon.

In my normal style, I jumped at the chance to participate, and then worried about where I would find trails to practise on. Monday, at yoga class, one of the other students shared that she was glad I was back, and in the process of filling her in on my absence, trail running came up, and she told me about some trails five minutes from my house. (Don't ya just love fate?) I can't believe that I have lived in this area for eighteen years and never knew of their exsistance, but it would be counter-productive to dwell on that fact, so moving on.......

I laced up my new trail running shoes, (Which are pretty ugly, but very supportive. Since they were soon to be the color of mud, I figured I could forgo style just this once.) and stepped into my new adventure. (Figuratively and literally.) Thirty seconds later, I was already wondering what I had gotten myself into. Two minutes into the run, all I could do was give thanks that the race was still many weeks away. Over hill (that felt more like a mountain)over dale, I kept running that dusty trail, (Isn't there a song that goes something like that?) dodgeing ruts, tree roots, and the occasional squirrel. Twenty minutes was enough for the first day. (This out of the mouth of the woman that just two weeks ago kept her legs in motion long enough to travel thirteen point one miles. Figure that one out!)

Funny thing was, after catching my breath, I found myself planning my next run. I am really excited about taking on this challenge, and how good/strong/healthy I am going to feel/be by the time June rolls around.

To change the subject........

Hey maintenance man..... Which by the way..... After careful consideration, and vote counting, he has decided to be refered to as (my) mister. A big thanks to all you anti-Pooky folks, as well as to anyonomous for her/his suggestion. As I was saying......

Something REALLY needs to be done with the hand-held shower head. It is spraying so bad (where it is conected, not the head itself) that not only did the resident get a shower this morning, but so did I, not to mention three quarters of the floor and the toilet. (Can we consider that multi-tasking?) Please put that on the top of your list. (To either repair or replace, your choice....ASAP!) I also wanted to remind you about the need to re-attach the dryer vent to the dryer, though the plants in the room are loving the extra humidy created by it being unattached. The rest of us, not so much. Oh ya..... remember that "little bit of bad news".... his words not mine.... you shared with me last night (that we only had one can of green beans left. Tell me it isn't so!) Remeber they are on sale twelve cans for six dollars, so if you have time at lunch you can pick up twenty-four or fourty-eight cans. Get the ones with no salt added please. Thank you for your help..... You're da bomb!

Sorry readers, but I know he reads my blog, (because he is a nice guy, but mostly I think because he wants to keep an eye out for what I say about him.)and you wouldn't want us to run out of green beans now would you?

3 comments:

Has to be me said...

Good luck 4 the next race! Phew! I dunno how u manage!

Has to be me said...

hi patty

try http://artofliving.org

more later

Patty said...

Right back at you. The thought of keeping up with the energy of a three year old leaves me in a cold sweat. Thanks for the well-wishes. I am going to need them to keep me on the path. ( Verses off the trail and into the woods..... My sense of direction has never been that great, and I can get turned around easily.)