Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day, May Day..............................

Translation....................... Help! I've seem to misplaced April! Can it really be May first today?

Must remember to give the dogs their heartworm pills sometime today. They like taking them, so it's all good. Once upon a time, before I was a dog lover, I dog set for a friend and had to get some pills into her dog once a day. That dog was so smart, and so big (Some kind of German Shepard in her. I think she knew I was afraid of her.) I tried everything to hide those pills and get them down her. Out of sheer desperation I finally had my youngest hold her mouth open while I shoved them down her throat. After that was successful, I thought briefly about a career as a lion tamer, but decided my nerves couldn't take it long term.

You might be happy to hear that I am indeed TB free. Our business passed inspection last week, so we will be given a license to continue to care for the elderly for another two years. Our water was too hot, so we needed to dial that down, and there were a couple of bits of paper work that needed polishing, but we were able to write up the plan of correction while the licensing worker was still here and with one more phone call that will all be corrected. I will be the first to admit that paperwork is what I tend to slack on the most. I don't feel it is as important as direct care is, so it is the first thing I let go, and then catch up on. I understand it is important, especially if someone needs to step in for me. I am just pleased that things were simple, and I don't have to worry about looking for a new day job. I am way to happy being at home and being my own boss.

The arrival of May means that in a couple more weeks we should be past the threat of frost, and I can move all of my giant plants out of the house, and onto the patio for their "summer fun in the sun." You have no idea how much extra space this gives us in our bedroom. In the winter I cluster them all in front of our french doors so they will get the most sun they can get. Just about the time I get totally fed up with tripping over them (not to mention watering them and then having a river to clean up) I can move them outside and I fall in love with them all over again. Maybe the next time I get totally fed up with (my) Mister I should trying booting him outside for awhile? What do you think of that idea honey?

The passing of April, means my youngest has turned seventeen, only one more year until she can make legal decisions for herself. After our mad bus chase Saturday past, at six fifteen in the morning, I think it needs to be a busy year if she is going to be ready. Part of the reason we were chasing a school bus cross-country, was that she didn't get up early enough, part of it stemmed from her big heart. Two of the girls on the track team needed rides, so by the time we went across town to pick them up, only to find neither of them at home, we saw the bus leaving town as we were heading to the school so she could board it. I said "There goes your bus." She said Well, Maybe.......... You're right, what are the odds of it being another teams bus at this time of the morning." (Do you think?) But wanted to go to the school and check just in case. I was right, but thanks to the modern invention of the cell phone we were able to call her coach on the bus and then catch up with them well before they made it to the border. Apparently the other girl's mother wasn't so lucky, ended up driving her daughter to the bordering state the meet was being held in, and after doing so, the girl ended up not having a very good running day. Who gave that poor mother my normal luck? I hope the girl didn 't have to listen to the lectures that my daughter got about responsibility, adulthood, and how I am not going to follow her around her entire life cleaning up her messes for her, for the entire four hour trip! Okay! Maybe I went a bit overboard, but I hadn't even had time for a cup of coffee, and the one I had with me kept spilling all over, as each attempted sip magically coinsided with each bump in the road. Trust me, this did not help my mood! Besides, isn't it a mother's job to lecture their kids?

Anyway, ready or not, April is behind us, and May is here. I only hope May last a little longer than April seemed to........ I have a lot of training to do before my races in early June. Enjoy your day, and if you see any May poles..................... Dance away!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty,
This comment is off-point. I'd justlike to say I enjoyed reading your story about the empathic student. Keep them coming.
Your Mister,
Mister

Patty said...

That was sooooo yesterday's blog.....What about booting your butt outside? No comment?

Anonymous said...

Patty,
I would not like to be booted outside for any reason. I do think it was pretty brave of you to stick your hand down that dog's throat. I wouldn't have done it.
Your Mister,
Mister

Patty said...

Now I know what to threaten you with! Maybe you wouldn't stick your hand down a dog's throat, but you do keep hanging with me day after day, so you must also be brave!

Has to be me said...

Regd mom lecturing kids....Dont go overboard cos kids esp in their teenage just dont like2 be preached! Rather, speak out to them as a guide & point out the pros & cons. I feel that might work better. :)

Patty said...

Dear Has to be me,

We might disagree on this one. I am a firm believer that is isn't my responsibility to do what my kids like as much as it is to do what is best for them. I also believe that kids perfer to have limits and boundries in which to function, though what teen (or toddler) is going to admit to this.

Knowing that I had a rep as being a "strick parent" was a source of comfort for my older children as they were cruzing the teen years. If they were invited to do something they felt uncomfortable with they simply told me, "Mom, say I can't do it" and all of their friends knew it would do no good to pester them or me further.

In this crazy world of ours, where morals and values seem to be getting misplaced, parents sometimes do have to shout (Metaphorically speaking of course) to be heard over the roar of the media and other examples that our children are exposed to on a daily basis.

As to speaking out to them as a guide, and pointing out the pros and cons of a situation, I do agree with you for the most part. When my children were little, I was not big on spanking, choosing instead time out. Having said that, I have spanked all of my children, at times when I felt their behavior presented a clear and present danger. (Like running into the street, or dancing on the stove.) I felt, at a time like this, that the lesson needed to be delivered in a way that made an instant impact. Kind of like when you touch a hot burner, and the pain makes you pull your hand away. Your body does this for your own protection. For the most part, I believe in natural consequences....... "I told you jumping on the couch could lead you to bouncing onto the floor. You chose to do it anyway, and now your head hurts becaused you bumped it when you hit the floor." (I didn't add, and now my head hurts from your shrieking because you didn't listen and bumped your head, but I wanted to some days! Doesn't that make me a good mother?)

I should have responded as a blog. Did not mean to be so long-winded.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is good to debate these topics, to help cement ones's ideas and ideals. I really do appreciate your faithful reading and commenting on my blogs Has to be me. Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom,

I do remember times when I used you to get out of going someplace that I knew would be trouble.

I still think of you when I am about to do something stupid, and half of the time, it does make me stop and change my mind.

Overall you have been a really great parent, and now that I am grown I can appreciate your tough love ways.

Your cool son