Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day, In review..........................................

I slept in this morning! When I got up, my oldest had already called to wish me happy mother's day....... "So she could be first." About an hour after I talked to her, my (cool) son showed up with rocks for my garden, a card, and another present. (He had made me open one yesterday that was a Book titled "Why A Son Need A Mom." Isn't that sweet? Anyway, he was just slightly miffed that he had not been first to reach me with good wishes for the day, as he had gotten up two hours early to assure he would be. Fast forward a half hour, and my youngest gets up and presents me with her card. She had signed it "with more love then anybody elses." I never knew I raised such competitive children! But then, I never recognized that I was so competitive. They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Mmmmmm.

We spent the next couple of hours hauling rocks to the pond area, pulling weeds, (that came out easy with all the rain we have had) and planting plants. Then, with most of our residents out for the day, we watch an ENTIRE movie without being interupted once....... Not even one phone call! What more of a perfect day could I have ask for?

One of my favorite things, is to look back over cards and letters that my kids have given to me over the years. I thought I would take "my" day, and share some of them with you.

From my youngest ( at age nine):

To: Mommy
Moms so swet (sweet)
Moms so nice
I love her
So and nothing
Can stand
Betwin (between) us

From my cool son (also at age nine):

To Mommy
From _________

Someone how's (who's) vare (very) spesal (special)
To me. Someone how (who) alwas (always)
Love. Someone how (who) Take's
Care of me. Should get a valuble (valuable) spesal (special) gift.

I Love you look on back


On the back of the page he had drawn two coupons for two to three hours of babysitting for his little sister. (She is eight years younger, but he was only nine. He must have meant watching her while I was at home?)

Just to keep with the same age span this is a letter my oldest wrote to me one of the times she was away with her dad at age nine.

Dear Mommy Thank you for the postkrd. (post card) I was thinking yesterday that me an dyou cud (could) take a day off and go get me stuf for school. I missed you A lot. I had fun caping. (camping) ______ let me pik (pick) A picture out for you. ______ had her picture tuken. (taken) When we went caping it rained all nite long. ______ was sleeping in a puddul (puddle) He dided (didn't) even wake up.

I guess being a poor speller doesn't fall far from the tree as well.

My oldest grew up to be a real writer. Below is a poem she wrote for me for Mother's Day.

My Mom
My mom is a woman who I look up to
Always supportive and unconditional
She teaches me about strength and love
And makes me proud to stand out in a crowd
My mom is someone who I can trust
Never let's me down or says, "that's too tough"
She always listens and makes it better
No matter how little the problem or size of the battle
I want to be just like my mom
With all the love and lessons learned
I love my mom in every way
I'm glad she's mine- I wouldn't have it any other way
I am so blessed this Mother's day, and every day, to have such great kids, and to be loved so much and thought of so highly. There will never be any riches that can compair to what I already have, and I wish the same for all of you.

4 comments:

Has to be me said...

Wow! Thats brilliant. so sweet of ur kids! Give them a big hug frm me! :)

Just shows that u;ve been such a super mom! Way 2 go!

Patty said...

By far, my kids are what I am most proud of. Thank you for your kind words.

In a few years you will have your own letters to look back on. When my oldest was about your son's age, I began having her tell me stories and I would write them down. I still remember (and have) the first one about a turtle.

Has to be me said...

Thats a nice idea. I've been noting / compiling all the funny things he says & does. But there r so many of them that I tend to forget to note them down & as a result I onlyhave a few. Maybe i shd venture into his stories as well. He is v.creative....comes up with a fast one (his own imaginative one) every time! :)

Patty said...

Young children are very creative.

My kids love to see the things that I have saved from their younger days. I am waiting (patiently..... Really!) for them to have kids, so that I can share their pictures and stories with them.