Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Side-stepping death for now................................

I have (at least) one more thing I want to share about the weekend, but I want to put it aside because my gut is telling me to share about a couple of other people. Since the last time I ignored it I almost ran out of gas, I figured I had better listen, even though I don't understand why I am suppose to share.

The phone rang the other day, and it was one of the marketing people that come out and visit me on a regular basis to assure that if I need home care services for a resident I will pick her company. She is a very sweet person. For this story, you also need to know that she is also in good physical shape. She began by apologizing for not having been out as of late. Seems she had been in the hospital dealing with some serious medical issues concerning her lungs. She continued to tell me that it began with her being out of breath when going up the stairs, or getting more and more winded while she was running. As we all do, she ignored it thinking it was seasonal alergies or something else that would clear up on it's own. When she FINALLY gave in and went to the hospital emergancy, she was told had she waited a few more hours, she would not be with us today.

The night before last, the phone rang and it was my brother calling to tell me that my sister had had a heart attack. (She is fifty-four years old.) I instantly got angry (Remember anger is just a cover for fear, but my fear spilled out in anger.) (About) a month ago, she called me (I guess I should tell you they both live several states away from me.) because she was really "sick with the flu." I had her discribe the symptoms to me, and I tried to convince her I thought she could be having a heart attack. (Sorry for the interuption, but our oldest brother dropped dead from a massage heart attack at age fifty-two, and she also has other risk factors.) I tried to tell her that warning signs are different for women than men, and most women don't have the typical sign we all know; the radiating pain down the left arm. I tried to get her to hang up and call 911, but her fear got her angry at me. I finally convinced her to let me at least call her son and have him come and check on her and she agreed to this. She ended up feeling better in a day or two and never ended up going to see anyone about the symptoms. (And yes, she was still talking to me, even though she said I worried her son for nothing.)

The symptoms of her heart attack were EXACTLY the same as she had prior, (Discribed as a BAD case of the flu.) only this time she said she was also cold and clammy. She said she had very little pain. Of course, in spite of feeling ill, she still went to her job as a teacher. They made her go home, and yet she waited and waited, finally driving herself to the doctor twelve hours after having the first symptom. (This part is funny, I think) The doctor comes into her room and says "I don't want to worry you, but I have an ambulance waiting outside to take you to the hospital. You are having a heart attack. My sister's response. "Well, how much is that going to cost me? I am trying to make double car payments each month." (Yup! Were related!)

Why my anger/fear? Because had my sister listened to her body (and/or me..... The first words out her mouth to my brother were "Patty is going to say I told you so.") and been checked out for heart trouble, she might have been spared the pain and heart damage she suffered two days ago. I am not ready to loose my sister. I am especially not ready to loose her when it can be prevented, and can freely admit the idea terrifies me.

A while back, my yoga instructor shared a really great quote with me. I finally remembered to ask her who the author was, so I could share the quote, and give credit to the author. She sent it to me, and I accidentally deleted the e-mail, so I still can't give credit to the author. (Sorry!) Here is the quote:

"If we don't take care of our bodies, where will we live?"

Pretty powerful stuff if one listens to what the quote is saying.

As I said in the beginnning, I am not sure why the insistance was all given to me to share with you. If there is one person reading this that keeps pushing back that nagging feeling "that something is wrong," please listen to it. Not be scared or worried about it, just listen and then do what you are led to do. Maybe you are meant to act on it so you will meet a really great person that will change your world for the better. Maybe you will meet someone that needs your help. Maybe ______________. (You fill in the blank.)

As a whole, women tend to be care takers of everyone but themselves. Another thing that was stressed at the training was the fact that if we don't take care of ourselves, we are not going to be good to anyone else. Instead of listening, we often put things off saying "I'll just do this, and then I will take time for me." Problem is, the just doing this usually ends up being one more thing, and one more thing, and....................

So.............. It is out there, do with the information what you need to do, and if I can help in any way, please let me know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had been meaning to ask about your siblings and forgot (gulp). This is not the way I would have like to hear about them. You are very correct though--women are traditionally the caregivers and ignore their own bodies. They also have many more "silent" heart attacks than men--of course it could be that the male couterpart is just a wimp!! Hope she does better soon. Hang in there. (ORA-my name abbreviation)

Has to be me said...

Dear Patty
I pray that ur sis gets better soon. True we women tend to care of all in the family except 4 ourselves. Dont worry...all wud be fine.

Patty said...

Dear ORA, and Has to be me,

Thank you for your reasuring words. I agree that my sis will be fine. I have a strong sense of peace about that. What I think this was/is, is a message from her body that she needs to make some changes. It is my prayer that she will listen so her body doesn't have to keep sending her messages in the form of illness.

About my siblings..... We began as six. My oldest sister passed away in 1986, oldest brother passes away in 2003, and youngest brother in 2004. That leaves my sis that is six years older and my brother that is two years younger. As I said they both live in a different state (actually share a house) but my sister spends summers and her Christmas school break with us. Having lost so many, we make sure that we are okay with one another, and don't count on tomorrow always being there to say "I'm sorry." Not that we don't have our long distance fights, we just don't let them seperate us for too long a time. I have learned the hard way, that life is way to short for holding a grudge.

Thanks for caring!

one4JC said...

Ok Ok I get the message! That truely was one of those things that God had you put out there so that someone (me) would listen.

I have been trying to wait for the new job/ new insurance to happen so that I didn't have a "pre-existing condition" but slowly more and more signs have been popping up (the whole APS thing)that I have been trying to ignore...

So yes I get it...

Patty said...

Dear One for JC,

I am very glad that you heard what you needed to hear. I really get the whole "not wanting a pre-existing condition" thing. In my previous line of work it was also "Even if I do get hurt on the job, it happened on the weekend, because if I file a workmans comp injury, I will never get hired anywhere else again." Did I know this? Of course not, but it was one way to keep myself in denial. Think of it this way.......... The way the whole insurance thing is going, the current system has to implode soon anyway. Once that happens, we will go to a goverment based system, so pre-existing conditions will be a thing of the past. Also, in order to get paid doctors have to be very creative with their documentation, so maybe they can be creative with treating you and not pigeon hole you into a certain Dx. Then there is always the "Do every test in the world before we give you a definite Dx, so more than likely you can get started and still get the new job/insurance before getting a Dx listed in the chart. Bottom line is, you deserve to be taken care of, and let God worry about how to pay for it. The quote is perfect for you, so I will repeat it: If we don't take care of our bodies, where will we live?

Blessings on this journey towards health!