Thursday, May 11, 2006

Angels, here on Earth...............................

This is the discription of hospice workers in one of the comments regarding yesterday's post.

I couldn't agree with the discription more, and thought I would use today's post as a way of saying thank you to, and paying recognition for a job well done, to the specific angels that helped us out over the past few weeks.

The first contact we had with the hospice, came in the form of a sweet, kind, and PATIENT woman that showed up at our door to do the intake paper work. She was here for OVER three hours making sure that not only all the Ts were crossed and Is were dotted, but that every tiny question was answered, and all of us were comfortable with the plan of care.

My mind is a little blured, but I think she was also the one that got me through a total melt-down. (If it wasn't her, I apologize, and I know that which ever one of you it was will know what I am talking about.) That day, I was having an anxiety attack. (I don't know why, but I get them sometimes.) The hospice worker first and foremost listened and validated my feelings. Then she went on to tell me that what I was feeling was normal, okay, and important. (It pushes all the RIGHT buttons when someone tells me I am normal, since most of the time I wonder if it so!) I will be forever grateful for her words, and for the kindness, compassion, and practicality she showed to me that day.

The first RN to come, was on weekend duty. She arrived during lunch time, pulled up a chair, and chatted with us as if we had known her forever. This is a skill that you just can't teach. Also one that I can't express the importance of. It can be an uncomfortable feeling inviting a stranger into your home. Every single hospice worker that came was so warm and personable that it was like greeting a friend from the very first visit. Aso important to note, there was no hurry in her (or any of the others for that matter) demeaner, no hint of "you're wasting my time," or "Just doing my job." How great is that?

The social worker is another angel that was born to do the work she is doing. She did a fabulous job of meeting our resident's needs, as well as my own. For me, having her visit was kinda like therapy - without the bill! I always felt that a burden (that I didn't even realize I was carrying) was lifted after chatting with her. Thank you too, for putting my needs first by listening to me and my ramblings, the day you could have been quietly catching up on paperwork, while the visitor was getting to know our resident.

Visitor......... What a title, for someone that is so much more. Confidant, friend, listening ear, show-er-up-per; just a few thing that the volunteer visitor signs on for. The sweet, special young lady (older than a teen maybe, but can't be by much. Younger than me by a far enough span that I get to call you that.) She was a "Nubie," (Meaning ours was her first "case.") but her caring and compasionate way of interacting with us made it seem like she was a seasoned pro. Thank you for all of your considerations, but especially thanks for dealing with the dogs, and taking time to give them their fair share of attention. Along the lines of "Love me, love my dogs"......... Care for me, by caring about my dogs.

We were also assigned an CENA/ nurses aide to come in and assist with basic care needs. Her first assignment was to give our resident's feet some special tender loving care. There is nothing more wonderful than having one's feet attended to, and I know our resident felt like a pampered prince after your visits. I appreciated the helping hand, and your tender loving style of delivering care.

I also had the pleasure of a visit from marketing dude. (Don't be offended, it's just my creative use of coming up with anyonomous names for people.) I am sure he might think the visit was more strange than pleasurable, but he hung in and rolled with the punches. First I made him sit and wait while I attended to our resident, then I spent like five minutes with him and ask him (In jest! Honest!) where my presents were. You see, It is the marketing dude's job to sell the agency so that when you need services you pick their agency. I told him that the last marketer to stop by had given me a handi-dandy jar opener, and I expected him to do better than that. Not missing a beat, he assured me he could easily top that gift. I then told him he was welcome to continue chatting with me, but I needed to get lunch. He followed me out, remembered to compliment my house and yard, (Great move by the way,) and delivered his message without being invasive or pushy. Oh! Ya! I later found a big pile of gifts on the end table. One of the things he gave me was one of those "Lance Armstrong type" braclets. I plan to add it to my list of "must wear" for all future races that I run, in memory of our resident. Thank you very much!

The regular RN that attended to our resident's medical needs/monitoring is out of this world wonderful! Important - she knows her stuff, and did a great job of ordering supplies in a timely manner, delivering care to our resident, and keeping the doctor informed and up to day on our resident's status. MUCH more important to me, (Isn't it always about me?) she got me without my saying a word. Let me say that again....... She got me! And not many people seem to. Though we never discuss it, she picked up on how important it was for me to care for and about our resident. She let me lead if you will, playing the supportive roll without being ask. She communicated with me as an equal medical professional when discussing our resident's status, and ALWAYS remembered to tell me what a good job I was doing caring for and keeping our resident comfortable. ( I do need my strokes, don't I?) Right there whenever I needed her, she was never pushy or intrusive. We truly had an un-spoken connection, and at least two times that I can recall, within two seconds of thinking I needed to call her, and update her on something, the phone rang and guess who was on the other end of the line? (For those of you that are slow to catch on.... Yup! it was her. Are you saying "Spooky" right now? I say "amazing!")

One more person, that deserves honorable mention, is our resident's doctor. He is the medical director of the hospice that we worked with, but has also been our resident's doctor for many years. As our resident began to decline, doc started coming to our home to see him. Can't say you know too many docs that will do that can you? In addition to that, how many docs do you know that come in and greet you with a big bear hug? How many docs do you know that take time to discuss family, share grand-baby stories, (his, not mine) as well as a love of Italian cuisine? He also had a great respect for our resident, and worked hard to keep him an active participant in his plan of care. In addition to delivering great care, he had a great table side (akin to bedside) manner, listened to my concerns (and frustrations) and - are you ready for this? - gave me his home phone number in case I needed to contact him after hours! Who could ask for anything more?

Indeed, all of these people are angels in my eyes, and each has a gift of ministering to the dying. (And in my case, the needy.) It is a hard job to do day after day. One that cannot be done without investing (at least) a little part of your heart. Know that you are appreciated, and that I have made some adjustments, moved some folks around......... and each of you, now all has a special place in my heart, and you are welcome to stop by anytime you need an increase in your hug quota for the day.

No comments: