Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Excuses are getting harder to come by...................................

This is the thought that occured to me as I was standing in the line at the bank doing my one-leg squats. Okay! So I probably looked silly, but I'm sure it wasn't the first time, and won't be the last time that I looked silly in public.

After going to the bank, I ran all over trying to find some goo, (the energy stuff that you use when you are doing high milage.) and a sports drink with protien in it. I had no idea it would be that hard to find them, but turns out I was wrong. I finally ended up getting a drink with protein, but no carb, and one with carbs but no protein, and mixing the two together. Why you ask?

I have been reading that your muscles recover faster, and you have less over-all soreness when you have some protein right after you work out. Less soreness is ALWAYS a good thing don't ya think? The protein is suppose to aid in re-building your muscles quicker, and it is the breakdown of the muscles that cause the soreness in the first place.

When I do the trail run in June, I will be running in the morning and in the afternoon. It will be much warmer than the last time I raced, and I don't want to get de-hydrated in the morning, and then be feeling sick for the afternoon run. To avoid this, I have started (last week) doing two runs one day of the week. The plan is to try different things on the trail (and between the morning and afternoon runs ) during practice so I will know what works best come race day. It really tired me out running twice in one day, but the fact that I did it, make me feel good. Right now, I am running pretty slow on the trail, so I have to get my time out their way up to be sure I can handle the distance. Getting back to my first statement...............................

When I finally got back home, finished assisting a resident with his dinner, and getting my running gear around, it was raining. Our the door I went for my sixty minute easy run. Six months ago, a litte rain would have put me comfortably on the couch! What I am finding, is the more I train, the more adverse conditions I over-come. The more adverse conditions I conquer, the less brain looks for reasons not to exercise. This is pretty amazing to me. Trust me, I used to be the queen of good reasons not to exercise. Back when I made the commitment to just get on the treadmill, I was having many a fight with brain over why I couldn't fit in exercise. At each tiny milestone, I was able to show her that "she could too do it!" Having run in the snow, wind, and rain; uphill, downhill, through the valley of the shadow of death. (Hey! It seemed like it at the time!) Having ran fast, slow, and close to three hours straight without stopping, Brain now sees things as "possibly hard, but definitely do-able." You don't know how much time I am saving not having to argue with her about whether or not we are going to exercise. Most days we are finished in a much shorter time than we used to spend just getting ready and out the door, or to the free weights. When I used to hear the Nike slogan, "Just Do It" brain used to mouth back, "Easy for you to say" and launch into her litany of reasons why she couldn't. Now she has a greater understanding of what they are trying to say.

The other interesting thing that has come of not relying on excuses, is that when I do forgo a work-out there isn't a pile of guilt that comes with it. Maybe this is because I have made some headway towards my goal of self-love? I know that part of it is knowing that somedays life is going to get in the way. When (my) Mister was down and out with his back, (Which is doing much better by the way.) I didn't run for a week. It just occured to me that I also didn't beat myself up over that fact. NOT EVEN ONCE! Once upon a time, not running for a week would have meant the beginning of the end of my running. As long as I keep those carrots dangling, (otherswise known as races) I am pretty sure I will keep heading out that door. Not to mention I am getting pretty used to being strong and powerful, two gifts I have received since beginning my quest to improve my physical condition. I get that these gifts are conditional, and will be taken away if I don't keep making deposits into my body. Kind of like those high yeild savings accounts....... The more you put in them, the more you get back......... And, usually, if you drop below a certain amount you stop making any interest on your money. Wouldn't want to see that happen now, would we? Best get busy, to assure that it doesn't....... At least not today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Patty,
I would like to take this opportunity to publically Thank You for taking such great care of me during my acute phase and your great followup care (i.e. Helping me strength train and guiding my dietary requirements to bring my weight back in line with my frame size). Not too many people would or could pick up all of my 223lbs. You did it with caring and ease. Thank you,
Mister

Patty said...

Ya! And if I didn't love you, I'd have to hate you because you have already lost eighteen pounds in three weeks, since I have been making you eat during the day. We all know men lose weight faster than women, but I'd still rather be a girl. It would be a huge drag having to shave every day, not to mention not being able to hug in public without getting funny looks from those around you.

Has to be me said...

Racer Patty, (!)

Phew! I just wonder how u can be so race crazy @ that age. (I m not trying to make u sound older but I dont think I can even manage to run a race now!) *Sigh*

Patty said...

Has to be me,

Maybe you would feel better if you knew that what I do, most people would consider entering and completing a race rather than racing a race. I consider myself a winner when I make it to the starting line, no matter what my time for that day's event.

Hang in there....... When at the half-marathon pasta dinner (one of the good things about entering a race...... The guilt-free pasta the night before) I met a woman for whom that race was to be her 111 marathon. That number is impressive in and of itself, but as we were talking (and I was saying my usual stuff like "I could never do that!") she shared with us that she didn't even start running until she turned forty! She had to be close to eighty don't you think to have completed that many races? (One cannot run a marathon every week?) She looked younger than me, I swear!

It all starts with that first step! After that, all one has to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Nice chatting with you!