Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Embrace your setbacks...................................

There have been a fair amount of people in my world lately that have been having a variety of setbacks regarding personal goals. An injury, a job loss, a struggle to break out of an established pattern. All of these things have a negative over-tone, and yet each has the potential to become the best thing to ever happen to these people.

It's not about what happens to you, it's about what you do/how you react to what happens to you that is important.

When something rocks your world, it is natural to spend some time being angry, worried, depressed, and/or all of the above. Unfortunately, few things are changed for the better through the expressions of those feelings. To move forward, means to move out of those feelings. One way to move out of those feelings might be to spend some time with your setback, to find out what it has to teach you. Go ahead and introduce yourself, and say "I am here to learn." Of course this process works better if you really want to understand what your setback has to teach you. Often, we want to just push the unpleasant event aside and move on to bigger and better things.

I could bore you with many a poor quality relationship in my past, but I won't. (Collective HUGE sigh of relief heard here.) What I will share, is that until I was willing to look at what these relationships were telling me, I kept repeating them. Okay! Maybe there are a ton of crappy men out there, but even my luck isn't bad enough to continually end up with one just because. It WAS all about me, and what I was bringing to the relationships. I am sure that at least one or two of those guys are currently living really nomal lives, and are really happy in a relationship. (Some of them WERE just total loosers, and probably still are.) It wasn't until I was able to delete a great share of the negative messages, that I came to believe I deserved to be in a sane relationship. It wasn't until I spent time identifing these negative messages (embracing the setbacks) that I was able to start deleting them. Then what do ya know? Right when I wasn't looking, on 2/15/1999, (looser number one thousand and one had moved out the day before, VALENTINE'S DAY, with the help of the girl he had hooked up with while I was out of town on a trip, taking with him some of my blank checks, and leaving behind a huge phone bill with calls to several other girls in several other states also incurred during afore mentioned absence, but that is a whole other blog!) (my) Mister wandered into my world, and we all know how nice and (nearly) sane he is!

So....... Just for fun....... Pick a setback in your life, (Past or present, doesn't matter.) and spend some time seeing what you learned/could learn from it. How did/can it enrich your life? How can/did it become a springboard to greater contentment? If you want to share, I would love to hear what you discover/uncover during your quest.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Amen Sister!

Has to be me said...

Hey thats a v.nice post & must admit v.encouraging to ppl who have suffered setbacks in various forms in their lives.
As for mine I failed one of my professional exams (Cost accountant) two times consecutively & ofcourse the reason was I'dnt put in enuff effort. I realised it only after the 2nd attempt & then I realised there's a lot of success that can be attributed to attitude & naturally the next attempt was with a totally different approach & needless to say I made it! :) And since then I;ve tried to change my attitude & approach whenever I see failure! :)

Patty said...

See! You get it! Our failures have so much to teach us, if we can be stong enough to look at them. Good job with hanging in there, and good job with being mature enough to change your attitude after only two attempts. (I tend to be more of the "Have to be hit over the head with a two X four before I get it" kind a gal.)

I am not a numbers person, and I thank God that there are number people like you out there to take care of those things for me.