Friday, May 26, 2006

Get to the point Patty...........................

I have been ask what the point of the training was. Why the need to talk to death. First a little about the Twilight Brigade - Compassion In Action (C.I.A.). Their mission is to educate and mobilize (get them out there) trained volunteers to provide a loving presence for those approaching death, thereby ensuring that no one need die alone. (From their brochure.)

The training follows the guidlines set forth by the Medicare and National Hospice and Palliative (comfort) Care Organizations. Graduates go into homes, hospitals, and hospices anywhere the dying need support, caring, and compassion. (From brochure.)

People are taught how to provide comfort, how to touch, how to support, and how to listen. What makes the experience unique, however, are the exercises designed to invite each trainee to confront and resolve personal fears about death and dying. The effect is profound and often transoformative. (From the brochure.)

The sole purpose as the Twilight Brigade is to provide comfort, reassurance, and a loving presence during the dying process. As volunteers we create an atmosphere of respect and reverence for people as they make their transition from this life. (From the brochure.)

Now in my words.............. I believe this training would be beneficial to any and all people stuggling to come to terms with any aspect of death and dying. I even uncovered a fear or two that I didn't know I had. When ask what our biggest fear about dying was, none came to mind. I had already done that work. (I thought.) As I sat quietly, in that safe invironment, I realized that I still had a fear about what my dying process would do to my family. If I died in an unexpected fashion, the shock and trauma of that would be hard on them. If I have a long lingering transition, I am fearfull that they will feel obligated to put their lives on hold and become burnt out from caring for me. Now that I have identified this, we can talk about it openingly and honestly. This is just one thing I have gained from the training. It is a fact, all of us are going to be faced with death in our lifetime. Whether you take the training to become a volunteer, or to prepare to help yourself or a loved one there is great value to be had in the process. Remember the link to their web site is on my blog, so you can check them out further if you so desire.

For those of you with further questions, send them my way and I will do my best to help you find your answers.

2 comments:

Has to be me said...

Thanks for sharing that Patty. Ya it does kind of answer my ?.

Patty said...

I am very glad!