Thursday, January 25, 2007

To be, or not to be me...............................

I had a REALLY nice day yesterday, and was filled with gratitude for all of my blessings. I have worked really hard to get to this place in life, and here I am referring to the emotional space that I am in. I kind of feel like I have finally grown into my own skin. The problem I had last night, was being me when the other person didn't appreciate it.

I had a phone conversation with someone that is facing some really tough stuff. Having counseled this person for years, suggesting (and sometimes even rescueing) ideas to apply to problems, it was natural for me to put in my two cents. Last night, I was trying to get this person to face a couple of ideas head on, just like I would do. What I forgot was it is not my life, and this person doesn't deal with things the same way I do. In wanting to make things easier down the road I upset this person because they were not "ready" to explore said road.

I totally believe that this person is entitled to have the experience they want to have. My problem comes in when them having their experience goes against my beliefs. It is just plain hard for me to shut my mouth because I care.

As a mother, I have license to keep my baby from touching a hot stove or running into a busy street in the name of safety. Once a person reaches adulthood (including our children) each of us has license to live our lives the way we choose. This is sometimes hard to watch, but doesn't change the facts of this right.

So what do I do? First and formost, SHUT MY MOUTH. Secondly remind myself, it is NOT my life, so it is NOT my choice. Then, after I calm down, begin to send "loving" vibes to the person with suggestions that they do what I think is best. One and two good, three not so much! Okay, instead of suggestions on what to do, how about sending vibes for protection while they figure out what they want to do. That sounds better...

Now, to just be able to follow through. This is today's goal. Do you think I can do it?

No comments: