Saturday, January 27, 2007

Congratulations are in order..........................................

Thanks to the public school system that has effectively managed to get at least one day a month off, the young woman that works for me could not work her day job, as her daughter was having one of those days (off) and she didn't have child care for her. So what you ask?

One of the (few) perks of working for me is that she brings her daughter with her. Bonus for me, she could come during the day (and if you haven't put it all together yet, she did just that yesterday) so I could go out and do my long run without running out of daylight. Getting this out of the way means I get my entire Saturday to myself.

Officially one day ahead of schedule, I ran ten miles yesterday. A few of the roads had drifts and ice on them, but for the most were pretty clear, and layered like I was I didn't get cold, even though it took me two hours to complete the distance. As I have said before, I just don't like the feeling of being all gasping and chest heavingly out of breath. I would much rather go a little longer. Heck, when you are running close to two hours, what difference does eight or ten minutes make?

How do I pass the time out there running you ask? First off, thank goodness and praise God for my Ipod. With all the hours of music I have on there, I rarely hear the same song twice. With the music for background noise, I just kind of let my mind wander. My first thoughts are always of how good it feels to be free of responsibility for a bit and be alone to focus on me. Then I look forward to the two mile mark, knowing that when I get there my muscles will be warmed up and I will have found my rhythm and pace. Often within the first ten minutes I will be passed by an idiot that refuses to give me any part of the road (just as I refuse to get off the shoulder into the ankle deep snow this time of year. I am not running in wet shoes when it is below freezing outside), so I entertain myself with thoughts of something tragic happening to him (and it is almost always a him) for being such a jerk until someone else passes me that has impeccable roadside manners and either slows way down and gets over, or stops and waits for the on-coming traffic to clear before preceding cautiously past me. At that point I switch my thoughts to visualizing an awards ceremony for most courteous driver. Of course you know that the rude/jerk drivers are court ordered to attend these ceremonies as punishment for their actions.

As I run past houses, I imagine the people that live inside, give them occupations, relationships, activities. I feel the most sad for the doctors (in my mind), as they are never home to enjoy their nice houses and families. Yesterday, as I was passing one house, a little old lady pulled out WITHOUT LOOKING and had I not been watching would have ran me over. This little event gave me a good two miles of thoughts while I spent the lawsuit money, which cleaned up our little bit of debt, gave us a nice little nest egg and the ability to save the bulk of our income, because unlike some people that get a windfall, if I were ever to do so I would continue to work. At least, that is, until I had a net worth of five million dollars. That is the amount that I have decided (my) Mister and I could comfortably live off the interest of. Let's just say, that while we are working on it with great diligence, we are not there yet (with lots of emphasis on the word YET).

By this time in my run, I am usually to a point where I could take a short-cut and go home sooner than originally planned. This is where I have that little argument with myself about who would know (I'm certainly not going to admit to cheating now am I)? I would know, and that is the most important thing, to be true to myself. Then, what about that time that I ate that extra brownie? Who found out about that? But, yes, I did feel horrible and like I totally let myself down. And this goes on until I just yell (usually out loud) "JUST SHUT UP AND GET IT OVER WITH" as I pass the short-cut corner, turning my attention back to whatever song is currently playing. And I always feel good for having kept my word to myself.

Especially on these long runs, some of my thinking time is taken up with deciding whether or not I can finish the run without having to pee on the side of the road. Even running on country roads as I do, timing is everything when it comes to this. "There are no houses right here, and usually little traffic, if I don't go now I will have to go another ___ until I find these same conditions. Can I hold it? I think so... Maybe not..." This time of year there is also the consideration of having to get all the layers down and up (do I try and pee with my gloves on, hold them in my teeth, find a dry spot on the road to lay them on, tuck them under my arm), in a timely fashion while keeping everything dry. And there is also that little thing I mentioned earlier about not being able to get that far off the road without getting my shoes soaked. BUT WHEN YOU GOTTA GO, YOU GOTTA GO! Enough about that isn't it?

Yes! I could have simply posted that I ran ten miles yesterday in two hours and left it at that, but wasn't it much more fun getting a glimpse into my crazy whacked out mind? I thought so too.

2 comments:

Random Musings said...

WOW 10 miles??? I can not even run for 1 mile yet (yet being the operative word) You can be my cheerleader and walk me through the process. I am going to pick up the books you have recommended to help me get started and stay motivated.

Patty said...

I LOVE being a cheerleader. Your first assignment is to jog slowly for two minutes and then walk for three minutes. If you have the time, do this for thirty minutes five times a week. After a week or so, try jogging for three minutes, walk for two. by the end of the month you should be able to jog for five minutes or so before needing to stop and walk. Once you can go for ten minutes without needing to walk, THEN figure out the distance you are jogging.

If you are already going longer than a couple of minutes, then pick up where you are. It is perfectly fine to do a walk/run. IT COUNTS. There is a famous runner (Jeff Galloway or something like that) that has written a book on the whole run/walk technique. He did so to encourage non-competitive, people to get out and get moving, and there is a HUGE number of people that have used his method to finish marathons, which is 26.2 miles. When you cross the finish line, you get a medal whether you walked part of the miles or ran the full time.

The hard part of all of this is to wrap your mind around the fact that you can do it. That is where setting goals that are managable come in. Remember, I started with the commitment to get on my treadmill and walk for fifteen minutes five times a week. Two years later this is where I am...on my way to taking on the challenge of the full 26.2. Back then, had someone suggested I could run ten miles (and in the winter no less) I would have considered them certifiable, but not anymore. What changed? My attitude and my dedication to getting myself healthier than I was back then. You can do the same thing, and see where gettting healthy gets you. Maybe it will be somewhere very different, but you won't find that out until you get started, so YOU GO GIRL!

Boy! Was that ever a long winded reply. Maybe I won't post today, but direct everyone to the comment section to read this. I can't help it if I am passionate about this subject and want everyone to get healthier.