Friday, January 19, 2007

Mystery solved.................

I am pretty sure I have (finally) put two and four together and came up with the reason why I have been so un-producive these last few days.

Tuesday evening, I went for a nice four mile run, but once I got home I felt like crap. Turns out I was running a small fever. I blamed the fever and minor sore thoat on the fact that I had done my hour and a half last Saturday run without a hat on and must have gotten a chill. Tylenol keeps the fever down, and I didn't run the last two days as a precaution, but that is getting old fast.

Last night, after I had gone to bed, I turned over on my elbow, and noticed it felt a little painful. When I touched it it felt rough so I got up to look at it in the mirror. My entire elbow was covered in a rash. Weird. I went back to bed and laid there wondering what I could have dipped my elbow in that would create the rash.

This morning the rash coveres my entire body! FINALLY I figured my symptoms must be telling me I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic I am taking. In my defense, I don't usually take medication, and before this surgery, I have never had a reaction to any medication or food. When I re-read the pamphlet that comes with the medicine, there it was, "fever, rash, sore throat, fatigue." The worst part is I had read this pamphlet when I first started the medicine (that is how I found out I couldn't tan while using it), but the fever sore throat thing being linked to being ouside without a hat made sense so my mind didn't venture to look for other causes. Does this make me narrow minded? I prefer to call it focused.

So, I have stopped the drug and I am sure doing so will clear up everything else in a day or so, and if I am lucky, I might just get something done next week. It could happen...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you are going to talk with your Doc about another antibiotic....because discontinuing could cause an infection reoccur or problems with future antibiotic needs.

Patty said...

He is currently out of the country, but I did call his office, and I only had three pills (out of thirty) left to take. I have to listen to my body, and right now it is telling me, "to lay off the drugs for a while." I will see my doctor when he returns the beginning of February, and discuss the need for more antibiotics, I promise.

Anonymous said...

Glad you quit taking it--when I had that drug I did not stop taking it soon enough and ended up with a full blown anaphylaxsis which necessitate epinephrine and steroid injections to stop--they thought they were going to have to intubate me. Just be sure to let the Doc know and take it easy. (ORA)

Random Musings said...

Its always good to listen to your body I would have blamed the cold too

Patty said...

ORA,

As much as it is killing me, I am NOT running my eight miles today, and taped lots of shows to lay around and watch today.

Random,

That is why we have to keep practicing listening to our bodies and intuition, because we can get it wrong. Lucky for us (I can say "lucky" when I currently look like a lobster after being dunked in boiling water, without the claws) our body keeps sending up clues until we get it right. But thanks, your words make me feel less stupid!