Monday, January 15, 2007

Opinions please....................

I saw an article in the newspaper about a woman who has put her grief to a very good use. In response to having lost a baby at birth, she now offers to take pictures of other babies that die at birth in order that the parents may have a visual reminder of their little loved ones.

I know there are some of you that read my posts regularly that have lost babies before full gestation, and I am wondering if you think having had this option would have helped you in your grieving process?

I lost a baby at four and a half months gestation. I can still remember the fear and uncertainty I felt as I drove to my doctor's office. The baby broke loose from my womb just as I stepped off the elevator, about two feet from the safty and security of my doctor. The next twenty minutes or so is mostly a blur. I remember crying, and I remember asking if they could tell if the baby was a boy or a girl, and if I could see him (I "knew" the child was a boy in my heart). The only answer I got was that I had indeed aborted but everything was going to be okay. I was transfered to the hospital for a D&C and how they disposed of my baby I never had the courage to ask.

I will be forever grateful for a phone call I got the following week. It was from one of the nurses at the doctor's office calling to tell me that they had been able to determine that my baby was indeed a male child. Now I could at least name the little one I would never be able to hold in my arms, and this was indeed a blessing.

This morning I ask myself the question, would I have wanted a picture of baby Drew at four and a half months gestation? Looking at those books on birth, babies don't look like much at that stage of development, and if he had been deceased for several days before coming out as the doctor speculated, would this have made a difference?
I honestly don't know. At what point would you want to have a picture of a life that was lost? Would you want any physical reminder you could get, or would the child have to be at a certain stage of development? At was stage do you think the medical community would be comfortable allowing photos of stillborns?

I think that often it is more "permissible" in society to grieve for a full term loss than for an earlier one. From the point that I knew I was pregnant, the experience was real for me, but not so much for those around me. Due to a variety of circumstances there were only about five other people that even knew I was pregnant. In some ways this made it more difficult to mourn, (I didn't see any sense in sharing the news after the fact), but in some ways it was better because I didn't have to explain things to every single person I knew. I think I might know the answer from those of you that have lost babies, but for those of you that have not had this experience, do you think it would be harder to loose a full term baby more than a baby not fully developed?

I find it interesting that a single item can take me back to a time and place that I thought I had moved on from. I moved through it, but I think that reminders such as the newspaper article will always trigger the memories and the grief. Softer maybe, but still there, and I think that is perfectly okay, and the way that it should be. What do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

After having my 5 1/2 year old pass away followed a month later by a miscarriage a very wise older women told me "Time will make it easier, but you will never forget". Those words have always been special to me and I have found them to be very true. You find you don't dwell so much on the grief/event but it will be there in a special place back in your mind brought forward by just the experiences you describe. (ORA)

Patty said...

All those years ago, and now it is our turn to be the wise older women isn't it? Thanks for passing it on.

Random Musings said...

My heart aches for your loss, and I am not sure where to comment here. And after writing my own post from today this hits home some of my worst worries.
I think any loss people grieve differently, I am not sure if I could take pictures of a lost child, but I have seen other blogs of people who have lost a child (full term) take pictures for there own use to help the grieving.
I guess you would only know if you were in that situtation

Patty said...

Hi Random,

Your comment is true about many things in life. No matter how we think we might respond in a certain circumstance, until we are right in the middle of it we really don't know for sure do we?

Am curious to go read your post, and am on my way.

Anonymous said...

my babies were real to me from the moment they were called fetous. i am sure the sense of loss is the same at any stage they lose the baby...for some parents it may help to give a name to the baby and hav a pic taken

Patty said...

Julia,

There is so much pain in this world, I don't even know the people you write about and my heart went out to them as I read your commments. Thanks for sharing.

itchingtowrite,

Most moms (myself included) would agree with you that their fetus is a child right from conception, and begin to plan and dream about the life this child will have. That is what makes the loss of a child so devastating (at any age/stage), the unfullilled promise/possibilities of the life they would have had. Each of us deals with loss in a unique way, and should be allowed to do what we need to find what comfort we can in the situation. Sometime, society can be less than supportive, and this is where education on death and dying can come in and be a support. You are right, if a name and a picture brings a bit of comfort, then what can possibly be wrong with doing so?

Anonymous said...

I have given this much thought for obvious reasons.

I would have loved to have a picture of each of them. I lost them early enough that it was not possible.

I do hold tight to the ultrasound pictures I have and have given them gender neutral names so that I could have a little sense of "completion".

I still miss them and yes I do believe as a society it is more acceptable to grieve a full term birth.

Patty said...

One4jc,

Thank you for sharing with us.

It sounds like you figured out a way that worked (for you personally) to help you cope with your grief, and keep going through the pictures and naming your children. Grief can be hard work.