Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Stepping into the Season of Lent.......................

My first intoduction into giving something up for Lent, came way back in high school. (Yes! They had high school way back then.) Our school was cool, because we had a malt machine. These delicious tasting things were served in small paper cups, and were a great bargin at only ten cents each. One day, as we were all gathering our dimes, one of my friends informed us that she had given up malts for Lent. I remember wondering what the need to give up something was about, but this thought was pushed aside in my wonderment that of all the stuff she could have pick to give up, SHE WOULD PICK MALTS? (This is one of those "you had to be there" things, it would be hard to discribe how very much she liked those malts.)

During my twenties, while searching for a church that gave me a sense of belonging, I pretty much ignored the forty day period of Lent. After all, Lent was for Catholics, and I would NEVER be a catholic, confessing my sins to a mere mortal and following a bunch of out-dated rules, though I do have to confess (to all you mere mortals) that I did think they were on to something by being able to "get church out of the way" on Saturday night so they could go party and then sleep-in the next morning. I (not being Catholic) had to suffer through Sunday morning services with an hour or two of sleep (if I was lucky) AND severe alcohol dehydration........ Forgive me. I USED TO BE so legalistic about religion!)

I met my youngest child's father in October of 1987. At Christmas time of that same year, I invited him to a program at my church, and he said he would go if I would in turn go to church with him. (Typing that just now, makes me wonder if that conditional response might have been a clue into what was to come? ....... I had lots more trouble back then even acknowledging my instincts, let alone following them.) The point being, I went to his church and had my first exposure to the Orthodox faith. (Again, typing that just now....... I thought I fell in love with him that night...... Might have been the church that captured my heart, and I just projected it onto him. Mmmmmm.......) Yes! stick to the point!........ His church, turned out to consist of a few families that were about to join the Orthodox faith. The priest, (to be, once they were Crismated/brougt into the Orthodox Church) of the afore mentioned church was a fabulous teacher. During his lessons I gained an understanding of why Lent happens, and why one would WANT to participate in it.

Before I start sharing, I want to say that these are MY inturpretations, as I understand, and may not be what he intended. I am not (and don't want to be taken for) a religious leader/teacher, but rather desire to share my thoughts and feelings about something that has added value to my life. I ask that you look and think about the big picture instead of pigeon-holing Lent into something religious people do.

Lent is about giving something up for a period of time as an acknowledgement of the fact that someone gave up something very valuable for you. What you give up isn't important, as long as you choose something that you will note the loss of. The reason you need to feel the loss of what you give up has to do with the second part of Lent. When you feel the loss of what you have given up, this is your reminder to focus/ meditate/pray for something you desire to change. (Don't be turned off by the use of the word prayer, simply substitute whatever word carries meaning for you. I am using the word here akin to how one uses the word he when writing, to simplify.) The concept of fasting and prayer to promote change can be (and is) utilized at any time of the year. The beauty of Lent is that it is a time when the masses (to borrow a phrase from the church) are collectively practising prayer and fasting, and we all know there is power in numbers.

I believe fasting and prayer to be a tool that anyone can employee to effect change, as long as one's heart is in the right place. Does this mean one can only use this tool for noble things like ending world peace and/or suffering? I think not. Fasting and praying for a close parking spot at the mall during the Christmas season might be over-kill, but (then again......... Naw.......) fasting and prayer used to create inner feelings of peace and acceptance of ourselves and the world around us would be a very appropriate use of this tool. By the way........ Fasting and prayer is suppose to be carried out without drawing a lot of attention to what you are doing. As Nike says, just do it! If we spend the time, moaning and mourning about what we are missing instead of being cheerful INSPITE of what we are missing, we are missing out on receiving the true gifts of prayer and fasting.

So (even if you are a first-timer) I invite you to greet the start of Lent with joy and excitement. Each morning of Lent ask yourself what participating in the process of Lent is going to teach you today, and then watch and wait for the answers. I assure you, as you follow your heart you will be overwhelmed with blessings.

No comments: