Monday, March 20, 2006

Posted by Picasa


Can you relate?.......................

When I came home from shopping Saturday night, my youngest came running to meet me at the door, shouting, "Mom! Wait till you see what I got you." With pride lighting up her face, and a grin from ear to ear, she showed me the above magnet. "Isn't it perfect for us?" She beamed. The fact that she is perfectly accurate did not stop me from wondering what her therapist might think about it!

The saying on the magnet pretty much sums up life around our house. Not that any of us are unhappy with that fact. It is just, if you ever come to visit, don't expect the home sweet home atmosphere that you would find at Grandma'a...... Not a doily in sight. Althrough, I do have a collection of tea cups I inherited from Grandma.

I have made a practice NOT to be normal. When my kids were younger, I steered them away from wanting "the most popular toy of the moment." (I heard those stories of people spending days/weeks/months standing in line for a Cabbage Patch Kid, or getting literally beat up fighting over a Furby. I might be crazy, but not THAT crazy!) Maybe that is another reason why I like to listen to Dave Ramsey? He says that being in debt and using credit is "normal," and it isn't good to be normal if you want to have money when you get old instead of having to rely on the book "One Hundred Ways To Fix Alpo." (You know, the dog food.)

I believe the fun part of being a family is the "un-normal" stuff. Where else do the giggles come from? Don't we all have those relatives that think they are great cooks, never being aware that the rest of the family not only disagrees, but snickers through the entire meal as everyone takes turns lavishing the him/her with outrageous compliments. (If anyone is doing this to me........ Just don't let me find out. Okay?) We all have an aunt/uncle/parent/grandparent that drives us nuts..... But if anyone outside the family mentions anything negative...... WATCH OUT!

As we sail through Lent, Easter will be here before we know it. As you get together with your loved ones, keep track of your most un-normal family traditions. Maybe we will have a contest, just for fun, to see who's family gets voted "MOST ADJUSTED!" (Please refer to saying at the top of the page.) Have a great day!

No comments: