Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Look what I found in my yard yesterday!

Yesterday afternoon, I took my Jack Russell Terrior with me on my three mile run. She loved it! For her it was a nice easy jog, but it was so windy on the way out, that her ears were blowing towards the back of her head. I pretended it was because we were running so fast. On the way back, the same strong winds were tripping us both up. We had fun just the same. A little mommy/daughter bonding time with the pup. Her brother (being an old dog in dog years) would have loved to come, but I can't control both of the leashes and keep my pace steady, and the male dog tires easy. When we go on a five mile walk we usually end up carrying him the last mile or so. When I take my female dog on a run, I tell her she is working. This means she is not allowed to stop and smell every spot where some other dog has stopped before, tug at the leash to chase a squirrel, or stop to squat every two seconds like she does when we take a pleasure walk. When I tell her she is working, she doesn't stop running until I do. How does she know the meaning of the word work? I would love to say that I trained her, but if I am honest I have to say that she has me trained. (Remember that earlier blog?) When we are home, and I tell her to "earn her keep and bring me my slippers or remote" she just looks at me, plumps up the pillow or throw she is laying on, and settles back down as if to say "Don't interupt my nap unless it is for a worthy cause like a treat or a play session." Maybe it is because she is a Jack Russell? (maybe......) I think it is more her just being female......... Sorry guys...... I couldn't resist!

Did I mention that it was so warm outside that I was running in shorts and a tee shirt? Of course, living where I live, yesterday was just a little teaser. I woke up this morning to find twenty degree weather, as well as snow on the ground. What is that about? March is our give and take month in which Mother Nature likes to remind us just who is in charge, and she will send full fledged spring when and only when she gets ready too. In March I try and maintain the attitude that "If you never have down times ie.. snow, you can't really appreciate a balmy spring day." Now you all know I am lying through my fingers on the keyboard........ I am sick of cold, and I am dying to open up my windows and let some fresh air circulate around the house, get out in the backyard and play in the dirt, give my house a good spring cleaning. So............ Two months from now I can complain that I am too hot, listen to the residents complain that they are cold as I sneak a window open to let the fresh air in, have to find extra time to weed the flowers and garden, and wipe up muddy paw prints everytime a bird or squirrel wanders into the yard and the dogs erupt in noisy barking fits to get out, only to want in five seconds later with muddy feet. (I know you read this blog husband dear...... Where is that doggie door I ask about last spring?) Will you ever learn to be content woman!......... (How did my husband get me to type that?..... Just kidding dear!)

Boy! I really wanted something chocolate last night. The only good chocolate in the house currently is that box of Sees that I told my friend she could have and she has never picked up. I had totally put it out of my mind until two nights ago when my daughter (the littel vixen) reminded me of it. I threatened her life if she opened it before I left for my race. Blamming it on hormones, I was willing to settle on a few Oreos.....truth be told they sounded like the perfect food at the time! I even went so far as to check out the cookie drawer, and there were none to be found. My daughter was on top of things and had either taken them to school or hidden them. (Good girl....Sorry I called you a little vixen!) Of course there were several un-opened packages on the shelf downstairs, but to open a fresh package seemed, well..... seemed like cheating (YOU THINK!) so I had a handfull of stale carmel corn and went to bed. (YES! The rest of the carmel corn is safely in the dumpster now.)

Well, the Podiatrist (foot doctor) is coming in just over an hour, so I'd better get some feet up and shuffling....... Have a good one!

By the way...... Did you notice I changed my picture. Vacation pictures are in...... That is me holding a real starfish in the Atlantic Ocean! Pretty great hu?

No comments: