Thursday, March 30, 2006

 


My Today Show experience..................

Remember I told you I planned to be on the Today Show while I was in New York? What a fun experience it turned out to be!

We arrived about an hour before show time, and there were only about a dozen people in front of us. The first people in line commented on how we had been smart to sleep in, and in reminded me of when we tried out for the Amazing Race and got there about twenty hours early to be sure we were at the front of the line. (No one else showed until about ten hours after we did.)

When they let us into the filming area, I saw this sign, and my intuition told me to stand there, but of course I didn't listen, so we decided to pimp out baby Lilly (In above photo with her daddy..... Gazing adoringly at me....... I knew I loved babies for a reason!) as EVERYONE knows babies ALWAYS get on camera. On the other side of us were a couple of women who (as it turned out) were from the same town that the camera man's dad lived in. NO WAY could we miss out getting on camera.

So....... Every time the camera guy picks up his camera, the crowd goes nuts, and he says "Not yet." And he looks through the lens, and we go nuts, and he says, "Not yet." And the wind flutters, and we go nuts, and he says "Not yet." And the TV monitor comes on, we go nuts, and he says, "Not yet." TOTAL COMPLETE IDIOTS we all were......IT WAS GREAT!

Finally....... The camera guy says, "Okay! Give me lots of energy." Counts down on his fingers, (five, four, three, two, one,) and WE REALLY GO NUTS! And it is over in like thirty seconds. As the news started, cell phones started going off, and the ladies next to us told us we were on, as people from home had just saw all of us, so we were really jazzed.

We watched the show from outside the window, matching the voice to the lips moving inside, patient for about five minutes, and then not so patiently until the next pan of the crowd. It is pretty interesting what people will say and do to try and get their fifteen minutes of fame. (The top story of that day, was about the minister that was shot by his wife. Hubby is hopeful that I didn't get any ideas, and will choose something a little less dramatic the next time I want to be on the news.)

About thirty minutes into the show, I again check out the crowd, and spot Lenny. Now, for those of you that are not regular Today Show watchers, Lenny is a guy that has been coming to the show every day for several years now, and EVERY DAY is on camera. So, there he is, in the flesh. STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SIGN THAT MY INTUITION TOLD ME TO STAND BEHIND. Had I listened, I would have not only been on camera, I could have stood beside a celebrity. Of course I had to have my picture taken with Lenny, and the camera guy assured me that the crowd would let me through so I could meet him. He said "Lenny! You've got another fan that wants to meet you." And Lenny was very gracious. He shook my hand, told me it was a pleasure to meet me, and posed for a picture with me. What a sweetheart!

At the start of the eight-thirty segment, Cambell and Lester came out. Of course they stood right in front of Lenny and that sign. Let that be a lesson to us all, to listen to the little voice inside our heads. (Unless, of course, it is telling you to do something illegal, or eat something fattening!) No matter! I got to be on TV, and I got to have a fun time in the big apple. What more could a girl ask for? Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Has to be me said...

lovely pics Patty! Have a gud weekend...c ya after the weekend. Enjoy! :)