Saturday, March 04, 2006

The excitement continues........................

Since I played for the biggest share of the day yesterday, I figured I might as well do the same for the remainder. In addition to hitting the grocery store. What? HOW CAN THAT BE FUN? Well, one of things my youngest can earn money for (She works on commission.... She doesn't do any of her jobs, she doesn't make any money.) is to accompany and help out with the shopping. In order to make it fun, I do crazy things like saying "Think fast" as I toss her something for the cart. Last night, I was seeing how many boxes of tissues I could balance with my non-dominate hand while carrying them to the cart half-way down the isle. Stuff like that helps us pass the time, and makes shopping an adventure instead of a chore. As I was saying.......

In addition to grocery shopping, we went to the sports store and I brought "real" running clothes for the first time. I got my daughter and I matching running outfits so we look like a real team. I was sort of surprised that she went along with the idea........ She still talks about the Christmas I made the entire family matching outfits to get pictures taken in. She was eleven or twelve, and the photo place was running behind so while we were waiting for our turn we went walking around the mall dressed all alike, and she saw someone she knew...... Mortified is an understatement. Back on track Patty.....

In addition to getting the clothes, I went to the dance apparell store to get those things that go between you great/big and second toe to help with bunions. While they don't bother me while running, it hurts when I touch them. This was a trip down memory lane for my youngest. I have helped the dance teacher back stage at recital time from the first year she opened. In 1989 my youngest was just a couple of months old and I carried her around in one of those front baby carriers. She began lessons when she was three, but decided she had too much on her plate with school and running and did not take dance this year. While we were in the store, she was looking at all the stuff, saying how much she missed it, saying things such as "Like when Miss _______ would say "I,m going to pull you up by your pony tail.", but you knew she didn't mean it." (The memories that stick with us.) I got what I needed and we left. As I was backing out of the parking space, I glanced over at her and she was crying, mourning the loss of her beloved classes. She said "I just remember being so excited about going in and getting my new shoes and everything. Seeing the store just brings it all back." WOW! The things we learn about our kids during the ordinary moments of life! Me being me, told her to go ahead and cry over her loss....... I didn't mind that people would be thinking I beat her when we went into the next store and her eyes were all red and puffy.

On our way into the next store she said "It's all your stupid bunion's fault." I couldn't resist pointing out that actually it was her fault, because if she had not lost the ones that I had bought her for her bunions (must run in the family) when she was dancing, I could have just used hers and we would not have gone in the store in the first place. The warped logic of the conversation made her smile, and by the time we were at the dairy case (the first stop in the store)and she was putting the cheese in the cart and I quipped, "Who moved my cheese" (You know, the book) she was laughing and the saddness was receeding back into the background waiting for it's next opportunity to make itself known. She is thinking of taking summer dance classes, and we shall see.........

As I finish today's blog, the sun is streaming in through my windows, and it looks like it is going to hang around for awhile. The day is just beginning, and already I have been blessed.

No comments: