Friday, March 24, 2006

Heading out to take (my own personal) bite out of the Big Apple............

Well! This is it! I am almost ready to leave for the airport. Thought I would take just a minute (or twenty) and make sure I have everything.........

Running shoes, check. (And double, and triple check.)

Cell phone charged, check (What did we do before cell phones? When I go somewhere, I check in on the OPs way to much I am sure, but I don't want whoever is caring for them to have to worry about things, like where do I hide the sharp knifes. (Or bread.... I came up with this cool idea of making use of the wall space next to the garage, so we put in a built in oven, draw warmer, small fridge, trash/recyling containers, and bread drawer in that wall. No one ever thinks to look for bread in the wall. Imagine!.... Wait! this is suppose to be a check list.....

Camera, check (It is my daughter's digital one, I plan to learn how to use it on the plane.)

Lime green race socks, check. (With my first race, I started a tradition of wearing a fun pair of socks.)

Banana's, grapes, apples, oranges, Gatorade, water, tuna, dried fuit, nuts, Ezekiel 4:9 bread, peanut butter, instant oatmeal, check, check, and check. (Okay! So maybe this is over kill, and YES! I am aware that one can get food in New York City. I just want to be able to have what I want when I want it. (spoiled princess that I am) And besides, since I cut down on the amount of clothes I am taking, I HAD to have something heavy to lug around or I wouldn't feel like I was really traveling. Focus Patty! Check list.......

Ipod, pre-programed with a playlist of my favorite running tunes just in case we need to pick up the pace for the last few miles, check.

My favorite orange shorts, check. (Okay! So the weather man says it will not get out of the thirties, a girl can dream..... Or else wear tights under them. One of the best parts about NYC is that us weirdos blend into the crowd really well. The last time I went there, I did some shopping. So much, in fact, that one of my purchases was a suitcase to haul the junk in. I was wearing a really bright multi-colored shirt to start the day. I bought this puffy elephant vest and matching hat. (Yes! the Elephant had stuffing behind it so it puffed out, also LOTS of sequins and bright colors.) I was wearing the vest and hat over the shirt, (It TOTALLY clashed.)pulling the red suitcase behind. NOT ONE PERSON LOOKED AT ME STRANGLY! (For a change.....It was great!)

And you thought this was going to be a short blog......... Haven't you learned anything about me yet?

Pillow...... Oh! That's right. I had to leave that behind because I am taking all that food. I'll be fine, don't worry. I am taking a pillow case to put over the hotel pillow case to put an extra barrier between my face and the last (Heaven knows who's) face that touched the pillow. I hope they weren't a drooler......I will be fine....... As long as I don't dwell on it too much.....Check.

Lime green elastic braclet with a charm that says "succeed" on it, check. (A good friend of mine gave it to me, and I like to wear it when I am working out to remind me that if I push hard, anything can be mine.)

Mom's silver bracelet, check. (My husband's mom passed away a week before my first race last year. She was one of my biggest supporters. As part of the estate, I was given a silver bracelet that used to be hers, and I have since worn it during my races. It makes me feel like she is right there with me, cheering me on. (Which I KNOW she is.)

My Delsol sun glasses, (the frame turns color in the sun, my present to myself on my last vacation.) that make me look "just like a runner." (I heard you say apperances can be deceiving!) CHECK!

I think I have all the important stuff. I probably could type three more blogs with the stuff that I have left behind, but I WILL BE FINE with what I have. (Sorry. Practicing my mantra for the first time I realize I don't have something I want.)

You might have noticed that laptop is not on the list. I am not taking my computer, and a tiny part of me feels the same as if I were leaving my left arm behind. (I am right hand dominant, so it would only have been a bad thing if I had said "leaving my right arm behind.") I have ask my husband if he would post psuedo blogs for me, but I don't think that will be happening. (Mostly, because after my post about right fighting, I offered him rebuttal time, and he passed. He said "You know I don't like to write. What would I say anyway?" I offered to tell him what to say, but for some reason he didn't want to take me up on my kind, considerate offer. Go figure.

My point is that you may go through a little withdrawl not hearing from me for a few days. (Do I have a big head or what?) Just pretend you are on a diet from my blog, and any hunger pains for a word from me will feel normal, and be a good thing.

Thank you for all your support during my training time. It has helped me to be my best for this race. Keep those positive thougths flowing my way, for a fun, wonderful adventure, and remember to get up early tomorrow to watch for me on the Today Show. OH! That's right....... You did not see my snorkle mask on my check list, so you probably wouldn't recognize me if you did see me. You might as well sleep in. See ya on the flip side!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Patty! I'm so proud of you!!! Wish I could be there (at the finish line of course, not at your side, you think I'm nuts?) Wish you both luck and have fun! Love Diana