Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fat (Boy! Can I relate!) Tuesday.....................

Am I slamming myself with the above comment? NOT at all..........There are ways I relate to Fat Tuesday that have nothing to do with my pants not fitting.

Do you know that Fat Tuesday, began out of the need to use up all the butter and cream before the beginning of Lent? You know, waste not, want not. Haven't we all pigged out on the fattening (no no) things in our house, before beginning yet one more diet?

Last night, for no other reasons then that they were there and I could, I consummed not one, but two paczki. I had them in place of dinner. (Not all that healthy, but mouth and stomach thought they had died and gone to heaven.) I "needed" to have two so I could give my honest opinion on which tasted better, the cream or fruit filled. Since I couldn't decide on a clear winner, I thought about having a tie-breaking paczki, but decided against it. (Stomach, happy..... Mouth, not so much.)

Imagine the guilt I suffered when the lead news story this morning was to let all of us (past and present) partakers know that each puczki has four hundred and some calories and twenty-five plus grams of fat. Listening to that, I actually felt the walls of my arteries thickening, thus the guilt.

I liken this consumtion of puczkis to other dangerous pleasures like bungy jumping and sky diving. People partake in dangerous activities as a way of living on the edge and/or getting their next rush. Since I don't ever plan on jumping off a cliff or out of a plane, the only thing left is to risk my health partaking in Fat Tuesday tradition. Talk about a (sugar) rush! Mmmmmmmmm

This evening, as the sun sets on Fat Tuesday, attention will be turned from excess to sacrifice, as the season of Lent begins. Even though I don't participate in actual church services anymore, I still celebrate the miracle of the season of Lent, and look forward to the specialness of prayer and fasting. Tomorrow, I will share more of my thoughts on Lent. Before then, we all know there is chocolate residing within these four walls that needs to be delt with before sundown. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you made my morning. i have not been able to read your blog because i've been "busy cleaning dust bunnies up"! I remember now though how i like to-joy/tears/thought provoking moments happen during this. Reading the past couple of weeks and listening to your spiritual transformation - a root revivial of love - that you spill out about your life is beautiful. I don't know how you came to write this or what it was that said "self - begin to blog" but the world is better for it. Some beauty of you - the periods of your life. awakening to find yourself - fantastic! i'm proud to know you.

Patty said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your kind words and support. Both mean a lot to me!

Why did I begin to blog?...... Sounds like a great question to devote a blog to. Stay tuned.....

Patty