Monday, February 20, 2006

All good things may come to an end……… But the memories are mine forever………….

I am creating this blog (to be posted later) as we sit in the airport waiting to check our luggage. I knew you were suppose to get to the airport at least two hours before your flight, but today I learned that one can (and has done so) get to the airport too early. This makes it kind of difficult to wander around, so making lemonade out of another of life’s lemons here I sit writing.

This cruise was very different from the other two I have taken in the past, and these differences stem directly from the changes in me.

I have always thought of myself as an outgoing person, but this is the first time I really interacted with other passengers, and this made my vacation that much richer. One gal we met on the transport ride to the ship. As our paths would cross here and there, we developed a friendship of sorts, and exchanged e-mail addresses to keep in touch. I told her at the very least I wanted to add her to my annual valentine letter list, so she could count on hearing from me at least once a year. (I get busy you know.) There is one couple that I met on vacation seventeen years ago , and we do this once a year yearly exchange of letters. I not only enjoy the connection, but it reminds me of the fun I had on that vacation so I get the pleasure of re-living those memories too.

Another passenger I spent some time chatting with, was a fella that goes by the title “Big Daddy.” Or at least he did for the hairy chest contest. This gentleman’s hobby is shark hunting, and as I told him, “It kind of makes my hobby of knitting pale in comparison.” It was so interesting chatting with him, learning lots of facts about sharks, and I would have missed out on this little adventure if I had spent all my time waiting in the food lines. An additional bonus to chatting with others, was as I did so, and then watched them participate in activities, it was more fun because I felt like I “knew” them. We all know how much more enjoyable it is to watch people we know making total and complete utter fools of themselves than it is to watch strangers carry out the same behaviors.

Another person of interest (there I go with that government security talk again) I met on the ship, was “internet café dude (ICD).” I have already confessed how computer savvy I am not. When I first arrived at the internet café (ship lingo, not mine) to purchase minutes, ICD was most helpful getting my pop-up blockers turned off (or on….. which ever way they needed to be) for the system to work correctly. I knew I was going to like him the first time I went back to use the internet. Other passengers had left behind a bunch of dirty dishes on the tables. (I need to interject here, that the internet café also serves as the library on the ship.) As we were chatting, I heard him mutter to himself “People! Don’t they know this is a library? You don’t eat in a library.” (Or words to that effect….. The quotes are used only so you the reader knows it was him talking.) My thought exactly! There were many, many places designated to eating on the ship, so there was really no need to do so in the library. I love books, and have a great respect for the written word, and ( in my opinion) a library is a place where certain respectful behavior should take place. Anyway, as the trip continued, we continued chatting, and eventually, (I held back for awhile) talk worked its way around to the topic of my blog. (as it always does) He did not know what blogging was all about, so I explained things, and told him he would be a great one to write a blog. Can you even imagine the stories he would have to share with all of the people he comes into contact with? He agreed it would be a great way for him to practice writing and improving his English skills. Being a spoiled rotten American I don’t even think about one not simply knowing English. It made me stop and think about all those times I have been frustrated in the past not being able to understand a foreign tongue. It must have been much more frustrating for them, having to repeat, repeat, repeat, at the same time they were searching for the very words I was asking them to repeat. I have new found respect for anyone brave enough to tackle a new language. If it wasn’t for Sesame Street, I wouldn’t know any words not of the English variety. Who knows, maybe when I get this health thing under control I’ll tackle a new language……………..It COULD happen!

I told ICD that he would have to read my blog, as I would be talking about him, (in a good way) and he would want to share his new found fame with all of his friends. I don’t think I shared with him that I protect my victim’s true identity, by not using their real names. So, ICD, now that you do know, all of your friends are just going to have to trust you that is REALLY is you I am talking about. (And not just one more pathetic attempt at getting increased readership…….. It’s not……I promise………)

Since I just popped onto page two on my word processor program, this blog is long enough, and will be ending here for today. Another hour and we can check our bags, to wait another three or so hours to catch our flight. Considering my bottom is already numb from sitting on the floor for so long, it is going to be a long, long day! Deal with it Patty!

No comments: