Friday, February 10, 2006

I'm a believer..................................................

In the fact that we get just what we need, just when we need it! I have a wonderful example to demonstrate this fact.

Last night (Thursday), was NIA night. About ten minutes before it was time for me to leave, as I was ending a phone call with a friend, my husband started making funny grunting noises and sorta gyrating his hips (he was on his hands and knees printing and sorting out our annual Valentines Day "love" letter that we send to friends and family instead of sending Christmas cards. I guess I should first say that this is not typical behavior for my husband. (How would you know otherwise?) Being the kind, sensitive wife that I am, I ignored him for a few minutes, and kept talking to my friend. When he didn't stop I asked him (very sweetly of course) if he was having a seizure and should I call 911? He said no, so I went back to my phone conversation. (He said no! Would a "good" wife had ask him what was wrong?) A few minutes later, I went to tell him I was leaving, and there he is hobbling along assisting one of our residents to his room. "What is wrong with you?" I ask in an (only) SLIGHTLY irritated voice. (See, eventually I get around to being the "good" wife). He replied that he wasn't sure, but he had terrible pain in his right hip/buttocks area. A bit more irritatingly, (and not so sweetly)I ask "Well! Why didn't you tell me?" (Do you think we might need to work on our communication skills?) I told him to go in and lay on our bed. (I know..... You perfect wives would have helped him to get there.) From his discription of the pain ("It hurts like _______") I figured he had something pinched, so I put some traction on his leg (pulled on it) and it gave him a little releif. (And we would have payed how much to get a diagnosis from a trained professional?). I figured if a little is good, a lot is better. Right? I raised his leg (like in a hamstring stretch) and then pulled up. That felt good (for one of us anyway), so under the same premise that more is better, I called in the troops (in the form or one sixteen year old) and as I kneeled and pulled (with all my might) up hanging onto his quad, she stood and pulled up hanging onto his calf. This brought (him) relief expressed through moans of pleasure, and expressions of "Oh! Oh Ya! Yeeeessss! That feeeellls Soooooo Gooooood!" Until my sixteen year old said "Geez mom, you don't have to have sex with him..... Just come in and pull on his leg." (Must be she has been awake in the past when we thought she was sleeping!) Hang in there...... There is a point to this story..... I just thought you might enjoy a glimps into a typical evening at my house.

After his pain reduced a little, I had him rest for a minute, and then had him lay on the uneffected side, cross his effected leg over and hang it off the bed. As I pulled, (as hard as I could) I had him pull back as hard as he could. This is the point of the story where through gritted teeth I told him "You should be really really happy right now that I have been lifting and getting in shape." (Yes! It is all about me, but I was amazed at how much force and strength I had...... one more reason to get in shape for all of you couch potatoes. One never knows when they will get the chance to pull someone's leg!)

Another of my gifts, is that when I do body work on someone that I am connected to, (I guess I took that "two shall become one" thing seriously) I literally draw the pain out of their body part, and take it into that body part on my body. (Weird, I know, but pretty cool too). Since my hip/buttocks were now hurting like ______, I knew he was having some relief. I got my revenge by having him ice for twenty minutes. When he yelped it was cold, (with "sweet" voice restored)I said "Really?" Leaving him resting, with all the residents settled, I went ahead and went to the last fifteen minutes of NIA class, because I knew the energy in the room would draw the pain out of me. (and it did) At the end of class, the teacher handed out cards again, and in the darkened room said "You will have to wait to read it until you get out in the hallway." (Finally!.......This is the point I was refering to about getting what you need right when you need it.........) My card read:

"Wishing you healing, ease, safety, bliss. May all difficulties pass and fade. May you always choose to grow and be like the lotus leaves, which in the rain are unaffected by external conditions: the rain ends and they remain lotus leaves." (There are so many energies of can't and not - www.pastelfish.com) Pretty cool Hu?

That is exactly the support/reminder I needed, and of course what my husband needed as well, so I went home and passed it on to him. This morning he was feeling well enough to go to work. (I am not that mystic.... I am sure the Vicoden I gave him played a role in his recovery, as well as the healing words.)

I truly and completely believe we always receive all that we need. Sometimes we are so caught up in the perceived drama of our lives that we don't see what is available to us. It is difficult to take a step back (when we are feeling attacked/pressured/hassled/etc...) and breath/relax/focus/center/etc..... But, (and this is a very BIG but) if we can manage to do so we often see solutions that we previously missed. I also believe that we get brownie points for trying, even if we fall short of the mark. The ability to mastering this "taking a step back" thing definitely improves with practise. (According to Webster, PRACTISE is defined as "actual performance or application,customary action, habit, systematic exercise for proficiency".... You get the point.)

So, if you are feeling in need of anything today, look around you and see if it has already arrived. If you don't see it, be sure and state your need out loud. Write it down, (and focus on defining your need very specifically). Once you have done this, to the best of your ability, go and play instead of worrying about things, and grabbing your problem back. (Boy! do I have a tendancy to do that!) Wait (something else that is hard for me)for your solution with anticipation and gratitude, and get ready to be surprised. Remember your thoughts create your reality. Yup, that's what I said......YOUR THOUGHTS CREATE YOUR REALITY! If you don't believe me, keep track of your thougths and see what they create.......Then you will believe, right along side of me!

No comments: