Saturday, February 18, 2006

A good time being had by all……………………

Since my last blog, I participated in a Trivia game, (seven out of twenty correct…… My husband is the Trivia expert) played Bingo, (didn’t win that either, and my instant tickets were duds) went bottom fishing, (I’m pretty sure I was the only one on the boat that DIDN”T catch a fish), had cocktails with the captain, (Well, we actually had one cocktail AT the captain’s cocktail party……… He was too busy dealing with a sick passenger that needed to see a medical something or other before we could leave port.) and sang my heart out at Karaoke. ( Nothing bad to say here………I know to pick songs that everyone knows the words to so my voice can’t be heard over the crowds.) This is turning out to be a really special vacation, the only thing missing is mt hubby! WAIT A MINUTE…………………… Something seems to be “missing “ from a typical cruise description…… That’s right……… I didn’t tell you about the food! What was I thinking?

Seems my pledge to get more involved in activities (than I have in past cruises) has had added benefits. The food is fabulous, and there is an amazing abundance of it, I am just choosing to not put an amazing abundance of it in my stomach. I am finding that I am enjoying things like the presentation of the food , as well as the taste more by eating less. Last August, if there was a desert within five feet of me, I laid claim to it. This trip, I fing myself picking one thing, and enjoying the heck out of it.

Remember when I was longing to borrow Oprah’s chef? I decided that while I had the benefit of “my” own chef, I would try different things. Last night for dinner, I tried quail for the first time. ( Actually I didn’t really try the quail, I could not bring myself to consume that cute little thing…… The dish came with a yummy sounding stuffing, and was served on this potato type thingy. Both of those tasted great!) At the end of the meal, (after I tore the quail apart to get at the good stuff) those tiny little legs looked so pathetic on the plate, I felt bad that a quail had died in vain before serving his little life purpose (human consumption) but my daughter saved the day. She ask if she could take a picture of those tiny legs, lying patiently on my plate waiting to be transported to their final resting place (the last part being my description not hers). I figured why not document our own “quail incident?” If it is good enough to be expounded on in the national news media, ( over, and over, and over ad-nauseum) it deserves the same quality attention in my blog. Don’t ya agree? ENOUGH ABOUT THAT (the vice-president’s quail incident that is) ALREADY!

Well! I have an entire day of new experiences ahead of me so I best get at them. Have a great day…… I know (whatever I end up doing) I will.

P.S. I almost forgot the best part of yesterday……… I might not have caught a fish, but I got SEVERAL compliments on my BRIGHT yellow Lands-End water shoes while I was relaxing on the boat, letting the warm sun and gentle rocking motion lull me (almost ) to sleep. Maybe that’s why the big one alluded me…….. It didn’t want the other’s to be jealous……… The biggest catch AND the coolest shoes might have been too much for the others to handle!!

No comments: