Thursday, February 15, 2007

Paying attention...Sorta..........................

Around the time the universe was hinting me over the head, (the day after I heard the Priest on Dr. Oz's talk show) he had a guest that I had heard before. Not taking any chances on missing another message I got on-line during the show and ordered the guy's (David Kuo) book titled, "Tempting Faith." Do you know how easy it is to order used books on Amazon? Once you give them your information, you can order books with one simple click. Talk about encouraging impulse shopping! Good for them, dangerous for me! Anyway, the day before yesterday the book came in the mail, and I had totally forgot that I had ordered it. Now it is sitting on the table beside the chair I hang out in, taunting me as I have yet to pick it up and read it. I know there is something in it that will enrich my life, so why have I not picked the book up to find out what that something is? I tell myself I don't have time to read it for any length of time and I don't want to get into it and then go on vacation (it is a hard cover book and too heavy for carry-on is my excuse for that one. Besides one is suppose to read fluff on vacation, not serious stuff. Right?)

Okay, so, the other night we ordered Chinese, and this was my fortune:


"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

Since when did they start putting such deep stuff in fortune cookies? Or am I just reading something into it? Maybe I just needed to be reminded of this simple little fact?

Well, one doesn't have to beat me over the head with said fortune cookie saying to get me to knock off for the rest of the night and "just be happy." To not do all the things that I had been planning to do. To just be happy to veg in front of the television catching up on all the nonsense that is on the tube. Nope... I had no problem doing this at all.

The following day, the artist's newsletter arrived and someone has written to him to ask why she needed to spend time on the "business/marketing" side of art when all she wanted to be doing was explore the creative side of art? His reply: "Unfortunately, our world is so constituted that it seldom pays individuals who merely dance (his metaphor for focusing only on creating art). This goes for most professions. A dentist who fixes only the teeth he feels like fixing, or wanders off to look into other mouths before he finishes the ones he has started, is soon looking for other employment."

While I found his example funny, I wasn't interested in exploring the message as I am still focused on "just be happy." He seems to want to send me back to the not as fun pursuit aspect. Shame on him...that letter went right into the trash folder and my fortune remains propped up beside my chair to remind me of just what I want to be reminded of. Who said I was manipulative/justifying/seeing only what I want to see? I'll get back into pursuit mode eventually, but right now I am revving up vacation mode so just leave me alone and let me be "just HAPPY" would you? In fact, why don't you join me? If misery can love company, then so can happiness. I'll give you the permission that you might not give to yourself.

6 comments:

T-girl said...

Oh I laughed at the fortune cookie part! LOL Ok, I have no idea what book you are talking about but when you are done reading it let us know if it is worth all this thought process you have put into NOT reading the dang thing! ROTFL

Personally I like your fortune cookie the best, straight, simple and to the point! Just BE! I am in this thing right now where I am all about, "the past doesn't matter- yes it shaped me BUT... it is not ME and I can live in it and be a sad excuse for a person or I can let it go and just BE HAPPY!" Why not? What's it going to hurt? LMAO

You go be happy girl!

T-girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Has to be me said...

Belated happy Valentines day! And belated wedding day wishes too :) Saw ur wedding pics...damn sweet...u sure have lost a lotta wt since then! Way 2 go!

T-girl said...

Hey... that second one was me... i am pulling a you! LMAO Sorry!

Btw- how did I miss the pictures?????????? I am SO losing it! LOVE the pictures and your little entry about marriage/your wedding. You are right, you two's opinions are the ONLY one's who matter on this, so if you are happy then you are happy... screw the world! What movie is that from? I know it is a movie I just can't rememeber which! LOL So belated Happy Aniversary... oh and I LOVE the leathers baby! Bea-u-tiful, let me know when I can borrow it! ROTFL Oh, and I loved your dress I thought you both looked fairytale like... very cute... I won't be borrowing that though, I am done for this life time I think... God willing! ;)

Hugs- t

Patty said...

Has to be me,

Believe it or not, I am only about eight pounds lighter NOW then I was in my wedding picture. The difference? A good portion of my weight now is lean muscle mass from the running and weight lifting I have been doing over the last two years, then it was all fat. I am amazed at how much smaller I am now, and don't like to think about how out of shape I was then, and over the next five years where I put on an additional seventy pounds. Totally un-healthy, and gross. I am glad those days are behind me.

Patty said...

T-girl,
The only thing I might say does matter about the past (mine anyway) is remembering it so I don't do it the way it was done to me, or the way I did it wrong. This seems to be a big part of HOW I came to be happy. I am glad you are taking responsibility for your happiness, as happiness comes from within. As much as people like to blame it on others, each of us must make ourselves happy. It is the only way we will be truly content.

At the current moment, I am still not letting anyone touch my jacket, let alone wear it, but for you dear I will make an exception some day. We should plan a blog get together,pick a city and meet up. Or a blog cruise. Or I know someone that is moving to London soon...I've never been, how about you? Then you could borrow my jacket to visit the Queen!