Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy anniversary to (my) Mister and me...........................
We married seven years ago today. I thought I would share these pictures as they really don't show our faces. (The watch on my arm was my wedding day present from (my) Mister which is why I was wearing it on the outside of my sleeve, fashion fauxpas or not.)

Looking up as I typed, just now, all I could think was, "BOY! That Dress sure makes my butt look big." Oh well, nothing I can do about it now is there? I made the dress, the upper part is dark brown velvet, the bottom something satiny, and I felt like a princess in it. Or maybe I felt like a princess because I had people helping me dress, doing my hair and make-up, and jumping at my every need. How could I not feel like a princess?

Our wedding day was a very magical love filled day, and everyone that attended told us they had never been in a room where they felt more love than they did that day. It was practical as well. We got married in a local opera house. Everyone came in and sat at their table munching on snacks (the kids coloring with the crayons provided) while we said our vows. When we were pronounced "husband and wife,"the caterers started serving the salad as (my) Mister and I went around and greeted everyone individually. Can you tell I hate those weddings where you have to stand in a receiving line for two hours and then have to wait another hour or so for the couple to take pictures before they show up at the reception and you get to eat? This way was considerate of everyone.

My oldest was my maid of honor, and my son best man. As we gathered around to start the ceremony, my oldest started crying, which got my youngest crying (when one of us cries we all have to join in), so I left my husband-to-be to go and dry their tears and then we started again. When it came time for my oldest to make a toast, it was a good thing that she had written it down, because she started crying again and I ended up reading the toast for her. (my) Mister was patient through all of this which is a big part of why I wanted to marry him in the first place.

Have all our days been champagne and chocolates? Of course not (mostly because of my stubbornness, but he has his less than stellar moments as well) But then I am a firm believer that if one never has bad times they cannot appreciate good times as much as good times should be appreciated. Marriage is really not about happily-ever-after, but about one's willingness to hang in there, striving to be the best spouse one can be. It isn't about the messing up, but about the willingness to do what needs to be done about the mess up. Marriage is about mutual respect, regard, and support of one another. On these points I would rate both (my) Mister and myself fairly high. And after all, his and my opinions are really the only ones that count when deciding if we have a good marriage or not. Right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to do it all again.
(Your Mister)

Patty said...

Knock it off or you are going to make everyone else jealous!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Patty! Hope you had a wonderful time yesterday. Here is wishing you many many more to come.
Loads of hugs
Shankari

Patty said...

Thank you Shankari. It is great to hear from you. Hope all is going well for you and yours.

Sheri said...

I'm jealous! Makes me want to run home and kiss my husband right now!


Congrats!

Patty said...

Never fear Sheri, You will be with your husband soon and then you can smother him with all the hugs and kisses he can handle. It will make him wonder what you've been up to!