Saturday, April 07, 2007

Winter running in April..............................

I have had the roads to myself again the last couple of days as the temperatures have dipped into the thirties and the snow and blowing winds seemed to have returned with a vengeance. I ended up getting the XM portable MP3 player to replaced my misplaced Ipod. What is great about this is I can record the talk shows I like to listen to and then listen to them on my runs. Having this to look forward to helps to entice me to get out there, while everyone else does the sane thing and stays inside.

The other good thing about snow in April is that it is giving me a break from the yard work. Maybe someday I will adapt the same attitude of weeding no matter what weather as I have done with my running, but that day is not today. My low back is extremely thankful and votes for no yard work in crappy weather EVER! We shall see...

In addition to my new running entertainment system, I also purchased a waist CamelBac (CamelBac is the brand name) which is a watering system that straps around my waist and rides on my low back area and has a tube that comes up and clips on my shoulder so you can either run with it in your mouth and drink as you go or get the tube without effort while running. I have tried different hydration systems and have found something wrong with all of them. I am hopeful (after the first couple of uses) that this is the one for me. In addition to the water spot, it has pockets and clips to hold the other things that I take with me on longer runs. I feel a little silly taking it on short runs, but I do so, so when I use it on the trail run I will be used to it and won't be wasting effort on figuring out how to use it or anything other than the churning out the miles.

My last new gadget is a heart rate monitor. This is the coolest little thing ever. As I run it tells me what my HR is as well as how many calories I am burning and keeps track of how long I have ran. If I ever figure out how to work all of the features I will probably be able to learn lots of other stuff about my training efforts. Currently, I am learning to determine how fast I am going by what my HR is, which should translate into my pushing myself a little harder some of the time which should translate into my being able to run a faster pace overall as time goes by. The main reason I want to go faster is to push into the next level of health. If one does not continue to change things up with their fitness program the body gets used to the effort and the fitness level stays the same. Or in my case, the thighs continue to be huge! I am confident that the HR monitor is going to help me to ignore the pleas of my inner child to slow down and enjoy the scenery, and instead doing what is best for the both of us.

The only problem with all my new toys is the amount of time it takes to get ready to run. It is quite comical all the straps, snaps, pouches, and paraphernalia that is gathered and engaged for a little three mile loop around the block. So what? It gets me out the door and off the couch, as well as going a long way towards adding years to my life so I can stay around and torture all those I love long into the future. I would say that is a fair return on my investments of time and money wouldn't you?

5 comments:

T-girl said...

Hum, I just read your post below while this was loading! Nevermind what I was going to say! ROTFL

I love my heartrate monitor, although I haven't been using it lately since I only have underwire bras... these puppies are WAY to big for a regualar one right now! LOL I do have hand ones on my treadmill but they are not very accurate. Anyways... sounds like you may be in too good of shape for a heartrate monitor to really give you great results but it is a fun gadget and helps keep you safe. Let me know if you want any help with it all (it sounds like you are trying to lose a bit of weight? I am an RD & certed personal trainer... have I told that before? I can't remember! LMAO) Ok, I am off for MY run! LOL

Hugs- T

T-girl said...

PS Did you see how I didn't offer any advice or opinion? HUGE EYE ROLL... I think it is genetically impossible for me to NOT "help!" LMAO

Patty said...

You've found an underwire bra that you can wear running. Let me know about it as my sports bras make my traps hurt.

Before using the HRM I had to take their notion of a fitness test, sitting with the monitor on for three minutes...My kind of work-out! They determined my fitness level,from my VO2whatever, to be elite with a fitness age of 25 to 29. I determined the machine had broken down durning the test, but it felt good to see the results anyway.

BTW, I have not heard any advise from you that was not worth hearing so I say, go for it! You and I both know T-Girl knows best!

T-girl said...

ROTFLMAO... can I have T-shirts printed up with that slogan you think? Maybe you can convince all around me I really AM the Goddess I claim to be? What! What do you mean you never called me a Goddess? Pshaw... close enough! ROTFL

Yeah, I kind of figured you were in a good spot for health. The bra I have is old, I can say I got it at the sports store on base in Germany... which means it MAY be a European brand! :( I love it and it helps... not so much anymore as it use too (it is older) but better then nothing! LOL I was just thinking I need to find some better bras... the prob is I don't know where to start looking anymore it has been so long! LMAO

Patty said...

Can't you use your government connections and hook us all up with contraban sports bras smuggled off base and sold to us via the black market? I know lots of people that would pay top dollar for a bra that offers the support you discribe. So what if you are married to a law enforcement officer? We will simply file this one under what husbands don't know won't hurt them.