Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Me and "M" at our junior prom... Check out the bottom ruffles on the dress and the shawl. What a classic! Here's the hair in all it's false glory. How about that puritanical neckline!Another of those forced poses (I talk about later) I HAD to include this one, look how skinny my waist looks in it!


These pictures are from my Junior prom, as I didn't get to attend my Senior prom. You see, my then boyfriend (later first husband, currently first ex-spouse) refused to take me because his brother was in my class and he (first husband) told me he thought it might be awkward for his brother if he was there. Of course this was a total crock of crap as he (again, first husband) hung out with his brother and his friends all the time, and as it ended up (his) brother didn't even go to the prom (I always meant to ask (his) brother's wife what excuse he gave to her. I think the two of them cooked up a plan so neither of them had to attend, but I can't prove it). At the time I was so smitten I just lied and told him I understood and that I didn't mind missing my senior prom. Another crock of crap, but my excuse is at the time I was desperate to be loved and didn't want to screw up my chances of that.

Anyway, in typical Patty style I ended up getting back at him by hounding him endlessly (ONLY after I found out his brother didn't go so it is completely justified in my mind) about having to miss my prom for no reason, missing out on getting dressed up, and not having the memories to look back on in my old age (is it here already?), until he finally caved in and took me to the opera to make things up to me. Never mind most of the opera was in a foreign language and I couldn't understand any of it, I had a great dress and a fairytale night to remember, so I forgave/forgive him.

Boy! Do I ramble... on with the tale of my junior prom.

Back in the day (class of 1975), at least in the small town I grew up in, the prom was far different from the proms of today. It was pretty much just like all the other dances, held in the school cafeteria, from eight to midnight. The big differences were that we dressed up in more formal gear and there was a photographer present to capture the event for eternity. Oh! And we all got to stay out an hour or two later than our normal midnight curfews so we could go out to eat after the prom. That made us feel real grown up let me tell you!

How I got my date is also classic high school (okay, maybe more junior high, but we were not as mature back in those days). One of my friends found out that I had a crush on "M" and set out to get him to ask me to the prom (remember, this was before terms like "hooked up" where invented). Several days, and close to a thousand passed notes later it was all arranged. I don't think he and I had spoken more than a dozen words to one another, but we were both excited. Almost as excited as my sister was.

Remember, at the time I lived with my oldest sister, and she loved to relive her life though my life. We went shopping for the perfect dress (looking at the picture, don't you agree we found it? While it isn't anything I would wear today, it fit my personality back then), and made an appointment to get my hair done. At the time, my hair hung straight down my back to my waist and all I did with it was wash it once a week, and get a trim every couple of months (though shorter now, the care regiment is exactly the same today except I have let my hairdresser talk me into coloring it to hide the gray that is starting to creep in, as she says, "before people begin to notice that I color it"), but of course it had to be all curly and fancy for the big occasion. The fall (or fake hair if we are calling it what it was) was all my sister's idea, I take no responsibility for it! Gosh, looking back I can't believe the mousy person I was, but believe me when I say that back then I really never spoke up for myself and ALWAYS did what other people thought I should do. I am sure (my) Mister would love it if I were this way just once a year, but don't hold your breath honey. It ain't gonna happen.

Back to the prom...

I can still recall the mixture of excitement and butterflies I felt as I waited for my date to pick me up on prom night. I didn't really date much, mostly because it was just easier not to. No feelings to get hurt, no third degree from the brother-in-law (much tougher than a father ever thought of being), no steady beau to keep happy. Needless to say, a lot of hopes and dreams were pinned on the up-coming evening. But first we had to make our way through the endless round of pictures and get on our way to the dance.

As I was looking back on the pictures I couldn't help but laugh at some of the poses. Last year, snapping a trillion pics of my youngest, forcing her to comply with a litany of staged poses I had told her to "smile and deal with it." When I looked at my pictures for the first time in twenty or so years I had to show her and say, "now you can see where I get it from." In checking out my pictures don't you agree that my date was very cute and we made the perfect couple? How do you like his blue velvet tux? At the time I thought it was to die for gorgeous!

The prom itself was absolutely great and we had a wonderful time. If truth be told, I think we might just have fallen in love that night, even though it turned out to be what most people call puppy love, and we went on to marry other people. Thanks to our one magic night we will always have a special place in each other's heart. How can I be sure of this? We talked about this fact at our five year class reunion. Isn't that something, how important one silly little dance can continue to be all these years later? I guess that is the reason why the tradition of spring prom continues to this day. While I would never want to be a teenager again, it would be great to recreate the specialness of that evening. Oh! Wait! I have done this from time to time over the years with other friends and family. Maybe these nights did not contain prom magic, but they were nights filled with love and specialness all the same, and I am grateful for each and every one of them.
P.S.
Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane.

2 comments:

Random Musings said...

OMG ...
Nice hair.. Ok wait till you see mine, I am including Jr and Sr prom.. oh my goodness you will laugh

Patty said...

Thanks Random,

WHAT? You were being fascias? Trust me, IT WAS COOL at the time.

Can't wait to hear your tale and see your pics.