Sunday, April 01, 2007

First of the month...Time for the Krialu online newsletter.............................

Nothing original in this post, yet lots and lots of gold nuggets for you to explore and benefit from. Check out the following and let yourself be drawn to explore something that jumps out at you. Enjoy!


Spreading the word...

National Day of Climate Action, April 14Join in a nationwide call to combat climate change. Hundreds of rallies will urge Congress to step it up by cutting carbon emissions by 80 percent by the year 2050. Bill McKibben, author and environmentalist, invites everyone to be part of the movement. Learn more and find out about action events in your area at www.stepitup2007.org.


TV-Turnoff Week, April 23-29According to Neilsen Media Research, the average American spends over four hours a day in front of the television screen. “Turn off TV and turn on life,” says the TV-Turnoff Network. Use this week to cut back on TV time, freeing you up to get outside, exercise, read, or pursue creative endeavors. Click here to check out facts, essays, tips, and organizing materials.

April Is National Poetry Month, T. S. Eliot wrote, “April is the cruelest month,” but we beg to differ--it’s a great time to immerse yourself in the language and rhythm of your favorite poems, discover new poets, or dip into poetry for the first time. Learn more about National Poetry Month from the Academy of American Poets and check out their “ 30 Ways to celebrate.”


And if you are looking for something new to read...

Lewis Mehl-Madrona, MD, PhD, trained in family medicine, psychiatry, and clinical psychology and has been on the faculties of several medical schools. The author of Coyote Medicine, Coyote Healing, and Coyote Wisdom, a trilogy of books on what Native American culture has to offer the modern world, he is of Cherokee and Lakota heritage.

Dr. Madrona says...

The trilogy of books I’ve written on Native American healing practices are called Coyote Medicine, Coyote Wisdom, and Coyote Healing. Coyote is the teacher who reminds us to be open to everything, including change. He is the clown, the trickster, and the survivor, reminding us to shift perspectives, to be willing not to know, and to laugh at ourselves and our shortcomings. Coyote reminds us that medicine is anything that works.


All of our ancestors, no matter where from or how far back, used stories for healing. Every one of us can draw on this past, however distant and however forgotten. An encoded memory of this ancestral past is embedded within our DNA. All who are alive today carry the wisdom of our ancestors within our genetic code.


As I wrote at the end of one of my books: “If I had to choose one single idea, it would be: Don’t give up. Don’t stop trying. Help is always available, whether inside or out of the halls of conventional medicine. Don’t give up until you’ve tried everything there is to try. Help yourself to a little coyote medicine, and thrive.”

Find out about Lewis’ two upcoming programs at Kripalu this May (Coyote Wisdom and Cherokee Bodywork) (and read his piece on Native American bodywork).

3 comments:

T-girl said...

I need a turn off the computer day not TV! ROTFL I have been doing MUCH better lately, not so much time on it!

I am into this site right now on spirituality. I came across it reading the site of a medium I really like (David Wells). It is all very interesting, if you go to his site look at his section on spirituality (I like his exercise that he shows in there), I think I might blog on it also. I really like what he is talking about... oh and btw, so far my horiscope for the year from him is DEAD on... VERY scary! I normally laugh at those things but that one made me go, "OMG!" LOL Anyways... I really like him... can you tell? LOL He is on that British show Most Haunted.

The books look interesting, I may have to check them out!

T-girl said...

I lied... it is under the "something to think about catagory!" LOL

Patty said...

Was it the spiritual web site that made you come back and admit to the lie? Ha, Ha.

You are dead on that most of us need less computer than TV time, as we have given up our TV time because we are on the computers. My rational falls under the line of "it is legal and I am not hurting anyone" so it is okay. I am still able to do my job and feed everyone on time. I know one person so into her computer that her two-year-old was found outside and brought home and she never even knew he was gone. Now THAT is too much computer time!

Come on T-girl... Give up the site so the rest of us can enjoy. Thanks.