Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tattling on (my) Mister............................

The man totally cracks me up, and why you might have to have been there to find the funny in the following situations, I can't help but indulge myself and share with all of you.

Sunday, I am in the front yard and (my) Mister was going back and forth between working in the front with me and tending to the needs of the OPs. I suggested to him that he might want to clean up the little buds that fell from the maple tree and were all over the deck, as he could do this and see the OPs at the same time. Last week when I ask him to do this he couldn't because, "They were too wet to sweep." I went on to suggest that he use his little vacuum machine thingy that can either blow or suck stuff like leaves up.

He leaves to do this, and I proceed to go back to picking up pine needles. A few minutes pass and he comes out and says, "vacuuming them up isn't working too good." In typical Patty style, I respond with a "well why not, it should,"without even looking up. (Poor) Mister just turned and went back to the task at hand. Several minutes later, he comes back to the front yard to empty the bag in the yard waste dumpster, and again says (almost apologetically) "It really isn't working too good." I look up, all set to argue with him, and he is head to toe orange. I almost fell off my stool I started laughing so hard. Apparently "it isn't working too well" translated to "the damn thing turns the buds to powder and spits the powder all over me. As I am dying from laughing so hard, my sweet Mister says," I'm glad I can be here for your amusement."

The thing is, he really is happy to be here for me in any way he can. He loves to make me smile and laugh and understands while I am laughing at him, I am not really laughing "at" him.

Like later that evening. Unbelievably we found a few minutes before the sun set to lay in the hammock together. We are laying there, listening to the birds sing, not thinking about anything (or at least I wasn't), when out of the blue, (my) Mister says, 'Damn those (name of company) people." Without a clue as to what he was referring to, I am like ," Hu? What are you talking about?" "You know the job I applied for," he said. "Oh, that."

Without us having four full time residents for some time now, we have not had extra income to apply to our credit card debt, and it is looking like it will be the end of the year instead of our original August deadline before we are debt free. In one of my brilliant strokes of genius I told (my) Mister that one of us really needed to pick up a second job. I went on to share that I wouldn't mind being the one, and I would do it if he wanted me to, but my fear was my families would not be that happy with me going out to work when they were paying me to work for them 24/7 (and NO! this wasn't my sneaking way of getting out of being the one, it is how I think I would feel if I placed my loved one somewhere like our AFC).

So, (my) Mister agreed with me about a second job, and volunteered to be the one to get it. The very next day I found him an ad for a cleaning job, two hours a day, Monday through Friday, that paid $12.00 an hour. He applied, and has never heard anything from the company.

So, back to the hammock... He precedes to tell me their not hiring him was totally, and completely age discrimination. Sorry, but I laughed in his face, and told him how did he know, and that it hadn't been that long since he had applied, maybe they hadn't hired anybody yet. So then he goes into this long explanation of how these companies don't want to hire someone like him, someone "mature and successful." Again I roared with laughter. Don't get me wrong, I agree that (my) Mister is extremely mature and successful, but he was truly offended that this company might not want to hire him. I just didn't get this and told him as much. If it were me that had applied for a second job I would be praying they DIDN'T call as it would just be one more thing to have to fit into my schedule. I would been thrilled to have made the effort to be the hero without actually having to end up taking the job. He is too good of a guy to think this way I guess.

Though I might not say it out loud often enough, I do appreciate the great lengths (my) Mister is willing to go to that I might be taken care of and happy. He does a fabulous job of bringing joy and sunshine to my days, and making me feel like the luckiest woman in the world. Thanks honey! Love you more!

3 comments:

one4JC said...

I have to admit that I laughed out loud when I read that about turning him orange...perhaps that was a small snort too!

Thank him for being there for my humor break as well!

Random Musings said...

Ok I laughed too.. thats funny.
I love your guys relationship we are the same way over here in Random Land at one point I was not able to work so the hubby was working 2 jobs.
You do what you can for love

Patty said...

One4JC,

Okay! If you laughed then I don't worry that I was laughing for the wrong reason. Either that or I hang out with people that have as sick a sense of humor as I do.

Random,

What's love got to do with it? I HATE, HATE, HATE, those credit card companies. It is this hatred that keeps up going, to get them paid off AND OUT OF OUR LIVES FOREVER! (Really, I know what you mean. Your totally correct and from what I know you have as good a keeper in your marriage as I have in mine. Aren't we blessed?)