Friday, April 13, 2007

A little of this, a little of that.......................

Man this week went fast. I say that a lot, but this week really seemed to fly by. How was yours?

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting in my chair, listening to the radio, doing something on my computer when I heard a noise at my feet. I glanced over at the sofa and both dogs were sleeping peacefully. Even though I haven't seen a mouse in my house for years, I am deathly afraid of them (totally irrational I know, but still true) so this was the first thought that popped into my head. I looked down, all prepared to scream, only to see smoke curling out of the power cord to my computer. I instantly yanked the cord out of the computer, and since the computer didn't do anything funny I don't think anything internal was injured. The big problem is not being able to use the power cord to charge the computer, thus making the computer un-usable. Fortunately for me, I have a great family that will let me use theirs until mine is fixed. The bad news is I won't have access to my favorites list so I might not be keeping up with all the sites that I usually visit. Life could be much worse I know!

Even though Dave says not to, (my) Mister purchased a service plan on my computer when he bought it, so the cost of the repairs will be covered, but they told him it might be up to three weeks before it is returned. TO GIVE ME A NEW PLUG? Are they nuts? The other thing (NOT covered by the service plan of course), is they charge $150 to back up the data. Again, ARE THEY NUTS! Poor Mister, trying to make me understand why they would lose anything if they are only working on the plug. That there is more involved that simply putting my files on a disk. What happens if I don't have things back up...WHY? EXPLAIN THAT ONE AGAIN, please. Have I mentioned how patient he can be with me?

All I kept telling him was, "I don't like that option, give me a different one. I choose not to spend $150 to have them do something so simple, come up with a better solution." He is going to back stuff up himself before sending the computer in. Don't ask me for the specifics of the backing up. I stopped listening after he said he would do it and it wouldn't cost anything. Am I spoiled or what?

Speaking of spoiled...

It is trail run training time again. To make sure you are all up to date, the second weekend in June we are running a 78 mile trail relay run with a team of six runners and two drivers. Last years experience went on my "one of my best life experiences ever" and I can't wait to do it again.

Our team is made up of myself, my two daughters, two of my oldest daughter's sorority sisters (actually one of the two is the twin of the actual sorority sister, but close enough) and the "new guy". Last year we were going to run the race with just the five of us and the week before the race, our team leader was talking to the head of the race program and he told her there would be no way we would ever finish with just five of us. He gave us some names of people that did not have teams but wanted to do the race and we were able to pick up a team-member that had ran the race before but had not gotten his team registered in time and they had lost their spot. We bonded immediately, and felt like we had known him for years. And just for the record, we NEVER would have finished without him on our team. This year he is going back to his old team so we needed to get a new member. Our team leader found us someone, we have been getting acquainted through e-mails, and he fits in perfectly with the rest of us.

I have been sending out "Monday Motivation" e-mails (never mind that this weeks didn't get out until Thursday) to motivate myself and get us all pumped up for the race. In this weeks note I included the info that the 5k I am doing tomorrow will be the first ever that I will actually be running for time (to win...GO PATTY GO!) and that I had been praying for a huge snow storm so everyone in my age group will stay home and my chances of winning will be greatly increased, Everyone sent me back encouraging messages, making me feel so very loved and cared about. I feel like a winner, even before I line up at the starting line, and totally inspired to do my very best.

The "new guy" sent me this message..."We’re all behind you – and so will be everyone else in your age group be (behind you, that is!)." Isn't that fabulous!

Have a fab weekend everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't pray for the snowstorm for you, because I know you can do it expecially when you have set your mind to it! You GO girl!! (ORA)

Random Musings said...

I hope you do well!! I am so excited for you, also wanted to say thanks for writting, through your running experiences has helped me find the love I once had for running.
I am working on it and I will run with you one day I promise (and I ALWAYS keep my promises!!)

Too bad about the computer ours died the other day too, Hubby went out and bought a new one the same day (I buy shoes he deals with computers) lol
Please take lots of pics of the race!
good luck

Patty said...

Yes, ORA, you have seen my stubborness in action a time or two haven't you now?

Random,
I love the notion that I inspire you, and in regards to something positive. Imagine that?

I did have one of the librarians (Did I mention that the proceeds from the race are going to help build a new library?) snap a pic of me and my new racing buddy toasting our accomplishments with a long tall bottle of water after the race, but I really only had the camera with me to take a pic of my friend finishing. This is her second race, and she did fabulous again this year!

Don't dispair, I will have tons of pictures to share after this years trailrace. GET EXCITED!