Thursday, April 26, 2007

The latest in "wanting it all".......................

I try hard not to get to political on this blog, because I really do believe that everyone has a right to do what they want to do, as long as they are not doing anybody else harm.

Having said that I MUST speak to something I heard on the Today Show.

They did a segment about a trend that is happening in which moms that are too busy to nurse their babies are paying other women to do the job for them. They actually call it outsource nursing! Are they nuts?

Okay! I nursed my baby. Once (and only one time) I even nursed a friend's baby when he refused to take a bottle and wouldn't stop screaming, but this was an emergency situation I felt(and prior to this time she and I had talked about this so I sorta had her permission).

I agree that breast milk is the perfect food for an infant, and there are many benefits to nursing (for me the number one was convenience. It was faster than fixing and warming a bottle), but these benefits become liabilities (in my opinion) when another woman is supplying the breast milk long term.

Lots of things pass through breast milk. Yes, they screen the wet nurses, but do they do this prior to every feeding? What if the wet nurse decides to binge drink one night after they pass screening? Or eat something that makes baby gassy? Or need to go on pain killers and baby doesn't latch onto the fill-in wet nurse? Or...Fill in the blank.

Lots of studies have been done about the bonding that takes place during the nursing experience. Is it really okay with these moms that this happens with someone else besides them? If it is good to breastfeed to create this bond, is is beneficial then to create a bond that will be broken around age two when nursing stops? Is it beneficial for the WN to try to supply the breast milk without creating the bond? Would that be possible? Is there enough benefit to breast milk (and not the act of breast feeding) to justify the potential separation anxiety and possible long term bonding issues when the relationships ends once baby is weened?

Millions of babies have grown up on formula and in fact done quite well. As much as we try to kid ourselves we cannot have it all. Why do we even think we need to have it all? All (again in my opinion) is one of those words in the same category as never and always. The more one strives to fulfill their meaning of these words, the more they desire and rarely does satisfaction ever arrive. How will these women feel ten years from now in the event that this new trend turns out not to be such a good idea? One can strive all they want and not change the past. The point will come when peace must be made with a choice. Might it not be better to get this out of the way the first year of the kid's life and then move on? Just a thought?

Do I think that these mother's don't care about their babies welfare and are only out for themselves and their best interest? Of course not. I am sure in their minds these mothers are making a good choice for their child. Who am I to say that my way is the only right way? Who am I to make judgements about the way other people raise their kids? I sure didn't want anyone telling me how to raise mine. But are these mom's best intentions going to create worse case scenarios down the road? How do we tell before it is too late?

And now it is your turn. Let me know what you think of this idea. Has anyone reading actually done this practice or know someone that has done it and been happy with it? I really would like to hear other thoughts on the subject. Not so we can choose sides and get into a big debate, but so I might understand the other point of view, because right now, I just don't get it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!! Might be a sign of the times, but I too don't get it. Either do it yourself or go for the bottle. (ORA)

Patty said...

Of course you are with me. That is why we could often finish each other's sentences! And I don't think we would have felt any differently if this was in vogue twenty something years ago, so it isn't because we are just old fashioned. There are certain things that only a mother should do and this is one of them.

T-girl said...

I am VERY with you! To me the whole point of breastfeeding was the bonding. I have no prob with the breastmilk banks but actual NURSING? At what point to do you say, "my career is coming before my child?" Sad, one assumes that this person is also thier nanny... but what happens when the child stops nursing and that person they bonded with goes away? How do you NOT bond with a child while they are nursing also? I am sorry but I think this is EXTREMELY detrimental and selfish of mothers. The ONLY reason I would support this is if the mother could not PHYSICALLY nurse the child herself then I would support it all the way (one assumes that the mother would make up for it in other areas etc, not sure how to explain this thought process) but what this appears to be is a "mother" who is "to busy" to BE a mother! Why bother having a child in the first place?

T-girl said...

BTW- I ahave to say before formula this was standard... if you could not nurse... or were rich and pompus! LMAO I wonder which catagory they fall into? Why is my world going backwards these days? Isn't this idea old fashioned also? LOL

Patty said...

Maybe, but back then, we did not know about the whole bonding thing so their excuse is not knowing better. Also, wasn't this before safe formula was readily available?You are SO right, sometimes the world seems to go backward in the name of progress. Why don't we go backwards to a time before all the fast food joints that are killing Americians, and eat nuts and berries like our ancestors did?

Sorry, that is a different rant!

one4JC said...

Ok as someone who has never breastfed a baby I can't speak to the bonding process...although I would assume such intimate (for lack of a better word) touching and caring for...would create a HUGE bond.

I can't imagine letting (let alone paying) another woman to bond with my child in that way on a regular basis. (Yes emergencies happen.)

And I could go on a huge rant about the germ/disease/autoimmune problems that come to mind.

If I were unable to breastfeed I think I would opt for the formula route.

By the time I get to adopt I will be worrying about the school supplies they need more than the breastfeeding issue.

Patty said...

One of the reasons you will worry about the school supplies is the fact that you are a teacher and probably see lots of children lacking the proper supply for a variety of reasons.

It is my daily prayer for you that the opportunity to worry your little heart out for (at least) a couple of children comes true soon as you receive your hearts desire in the form of a tiny(or even toddler size) pink or blue bundle!

Thanks for your imput!