Saturday, July 01, 2006

To whom it may concern................

Below is the letter I sent registered mail this morning. Except for the dogs, I have deleted the names. I hope the letter is well received.


July, 1, 2006

Dear Mr. _______ ,

Yesterday, my dog Ben got loose from our house, at one-fifty in the afternoon, and it took my daughter four minutes to catch him and bring him home. When she returned to the house with Ben, she told me that you had taken a picture of him on the loose. For this reason, I am connecting you to the recent report of complaint I was notified of by a sheriff from the department of Animal Control. This letter is in regards to both of these events.

I would like to offer you a sincere apology for any trouble my dogs have caused you. I am very much aware of the leash laws, and it is not, and has never been, my intent to let my dogs run loose. I offer no excuse, but an explanation.

As you are aware, I care for senior citizens in my home. Because of this, many people come in and out of my home. If someone comes to the door and comes in not knowing that the dogs will take advantage of this and escape, out they go. I am currently providing care for five residents, four of which require assistance with mobility as well as other aspects of daily living. It is not always possible for me to leave a resident unattended the minute the doorbell rings. If the dogs do get out during the day, I cannot leave the house to retrieve them, as I am the only caregiver at home and cannot leave the residents unattended.

I would also like to say that since we have been neighbors for close to eighteen years, I am a little disheartened that you did not feel comfortable enough to discuss this problem with me in person. It is certainly your right to go straight to the authorities about this matter, and in no way am I upset that you did so. If my dogs have damaged any property of yours, or anyone, I would be happy to correct the damage as needed. Had I known you were so concerned, I would have taken increased steps to assure the dogs not bother you sooner.

After talking with the officer on June twenty-second, I posted signs on my doors for visitors to wait until the door is opened to enter. When someone comes to the door, I put the dogs on a leash inside, and then open the door. Today, someone came in without reading the sign, and Ben ran out. I have also contacted the city and utility company to request they come to the door before accessing the back yard. so that I might check the gate after they leave to assure it has been properly latched. It is my hope that people comply, but I cannot guarantee that they will always do so, as today‘s incident demonstrates.

It would be easier, and a permanent solution to your problem, to find new homes for my dogs. I feel that this needs to be a last resort because my dogs provide a valid service to my business as pet therapy for my residents. It is this reason that I put up with the nuisance that they can be at times. All of my residents benefit greatly from having my dogs around, especially the residents with dementia. When nothing else will calm them, placing a dog on their lap does the trick. Brushing and feeding the dogs gives one of the resident a purpose to her day. Tossing doggie treats for the dogs to catch, is the one thing that is guaranteed to bring a smile to another resident’s face. These may be insignificant things to you and I, but for someone that is homebound interacting with the dogs is often the highlight of their day.

I invite you to offer suggestions as to other ways I might keep my dogs from getting out in the future. For the same reason, I will be sending a copy of this letter to Animal Control. I would welcome any suggestions either you or they might have in addition to what I have already done, and short of getting rid of the dogs.

I understand that it is my responsibility to keep my dogs in compliance with the leash laws, and I will continue to work towards that intent. I am also aware that it is your right to continue to surveillance my dogs actions, and/or take me to court. Please know that I have no hard feelings towards you for exercising your rights. All I can do is take things as they come and deal with things as they present. I have learned the hard way that there are some things that you can only do your best, and if your best isn’t good enough, you face the consequences as they come and keep moving forward.

Thank you for listening to my explanation, and again I invite you to discuss this matter with me, at your convenience in the future.

Sincerely,

Patty Blah, Blah,Yada

2 comments:

one4JC said...

I think it sounds great. Maybe this is the olive branch he needs? Maybe if he knows you care enough to address it he will be satisfied? Maybe he just needed to be heard...

Smart move CC:ing Animal Control..They now know as well you are trying to be considerate.

Patty said...

Yes, I am hoping for the best to come from the situation, but also covering my butt. This is why I sent it registered, so I have proof that he received it, also why I sent it to animal control. I am planning for worst case senerio and he exercises his right to take me to court. I will have documentation that I have taken steps to solve the problem, am willing to do more if need be, and can make a case that my dogs are more benificial alive than dead. In addition I can take along a photo album or two, filled with pictures of the dogs with the residents (We take waaaay to many pics of them and have hundreds I am sure...... the residents smiling in everyone of them.) What judge in his right mind would rule against that? If he does, I can always take it to the paper, become famous, take my plight on the road, and make millions for the Humane Society!

Another reason I hope the letter works....... I am simply too busy to become famous! LOL!