Saturday, July 15, 2006

Some things I REFUSE to give up.......................

Yesterday, my computer was giving me fits. I can deal with it being slow from time to time but so slow that I can feed someone their entire breakfast while waiting for it to pull something up is a bit much don't you think?

Anyway, as I was waiting (and waiting) for the computer to publish one of the comments I wrote yesterday, sitting with the computer on my lap, elbows bent, forearms pointed up towards the ceiling, hands open. wrists slightly bent, fingers open and extended....... (In other words I was visually choking the life out of my @#&*^%@$ Computer.) My youngest offered this advice:

"Why don't you give up blogging mom? That will free up lots of time for you."

First let me assure you I did NOT transfer my choking stance to her pretty little neck. BUT..... The look I shot at her literally backed her shoulders deeper into the sofa, as she tried to fend off the blow. Before I could send a second wave of daggers, smart girl that she is, she managed to squeak out the words, "Sorry! It was just a thought."

Give up blogging? Can there be any possible way that she could mean this, considering she has am much fun listening to me read mine and other's blogs outloud to her. She must have been delirious from lack of sleep or food or something.

Give up sleep, sure I can and have done that. Food, no problem. Showers, lucky for those I live with I draw the line there, but I have shortened them, and forget shaving. It doesn't show that much with a tan anyway.

As busy as I have been lately, I am firm in my resolve that there are two things that I will not give up. Those things are blogging, and running. I have had to modify them some, but both remain top priorities in my life. Why?

Because I spend the biggest part of my day providing care to others, and these two things are things that I do just for me. They are how I recharge and nurture myself. Once upon a time, these things would have been the first to go. Now I love myself enough, and know that doing loving things for myself is a great way to be sure I have enough left to give to others.

Sure, the dust bunnies and animal hair have taken up residence in the corners of the rooms, and my floors aren't clean enough to eat off of, (Who out there can make that claim to fame?) but everyone is clean, well fed, and content. Disclaimer here...... I am sure the dogs would like to be taken on more walks, but again, what dog wouldn't?

I am sure that everyone would agree, there is never enough time to do all the things we want to do. So what? This part of my life is just that, a "part" of my life. Down the road my life will change and most likely my priorities will shift along with those changes. That is called living life/going with the flow...... I think it is pretty cool that I am learning to do that, finally, after all these years.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Ya! That is my girls and my favorite "Let's all have a good cry" movie. (My oldest sister died of cancer so we watch it in honor of her.) Only, the line I always quoted was, "Don't make me hit you in public honey!"