Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Maybe I need a new hobby.................

Either that, or those of you that post for my enjoyment better step up the action...

Just Kiddin!

Around here, the bedtime routine begin about six-thirty in the evening, and works through stages until round nine-thirty, ten O'clock. There is a lot of down time during this period, and yet not in long enough stretches that I can do anything really productive. (or maybe I am just to tired by this time of day to think straight.... The outcome is still the same.) Is there a point here? Oh! Right! When I get sick of the monkeys laughing at me because I can't come up with enough words to fill in the blanks(An anagram computer game.) I have been "killing time" looking at new blogs.

I know there are hundreds of thousan ds of blogs out there........ So why do I keep finding blogs about unhappiness and discontent?

Okay! Through-out a big share of my life, I could see myself being the author of most of them. Maybe this is one of those "If you don't remember history, you are condemed to repeat it" messages. Nope! That can't be it. I have made tons of mistakes, but ninty-nine percent of the time, they are either totally new mistakes, or at least have a new twist on an old mistake.

What purpose then, does hanging onto the past serve in our lives. "I am still not going to be your friend anymore, because I can't forget that time in second grade when you played tag with Jenny, instead of playing on the swings with me! So just take Jenny with you on your all expensed paid vacation to Europe. I'm staying home to wallow in my own personal misery. That'll show you two!" Am I the only one that has let the past interfer with my current happiness?

Let's not forget how important the past is in current relationship fighting. What would any of us couples fight about if we actually put the past transgressions of our loved one away, and REALLY moved forward into a more in-tuned future? (Disclaimer here: Things like (my) Mister sharing from years ago, can't be counted, as I was hearing these things for the first time.) After being with someone for a while, arguments seem to take on a life of their own. The first few spats are pretty mild, and end quickly. A few years into the relationship, and it seems that five minutes into a discussion, something is triggered and instantly you are into a full blown fight, based on the patterns your previous fights traveled, without the warm-up; straight into kill or be killed, take no prisoners mode. Surely someone out their can relate to that? No? I guess I was thinking, that since it would end up there eventually, I might as well save some time and get right to the jugler. There are other ways of reaching a conclusion? Mmmmmmmm.

The biggest reason I can think of for staying rooted in the past, is to try and block out that you are un-happy with the present, and you are not sure what to do about it. I am a big believer in "if you don't know what to do, do something, anything, and doing so will help direct you towards the thing that you need to be doing." If doing nothing isn't working for you, what do you have to lose by doing something?

Is there something in your past that you need to let go of to make way for a more contented present? If there is, remember the notion that for a true change to take place, you have to fill the void of what you are getting rid of. If you daydream about yesterday, go to the library, (see, you don't have to spend money)and check out some magazines that might help you jazz up today. If there are parts of yesterday that you just really have to have back into today, be pro-active on getting them back. If this isn't a real possibility, (No matter how much surgery one has, you really can never look nineteen anymore.) do the work, mourn the loss, and move on. Happiness is a state of mind...... Look around you, and I am sure you will see people that you think have it made that are miserable, and also people who's life circumstance breaks your heart that appear very happy and content. The second group of people are the ones we need to study and imitate, until we can practice it on our own. Who will be your mentor today?

4 comments:

Has to be me said...

Wow there r ppl who sleep by 6.30. Wish i cud too! :)
How true I also believe in the fact that histroy repeats itself. I c it happening in my life too.
LOL @ Jenny!
We shd let go unhappy events in life...but well it is easier said than done!

Patty said...

Not exactly asleep for the night. First he takes a little nap, and I change his leg bag (catheter) to his night bag. Then about an hour later, I check his sugar levels, give him his insulin and other drops. (Nose, eyes) Then I make him a snack, and he eats that and goes back to bed. Around ten, I make him wake up again, and take one more glass of water to keep him hydrated through-out the night. Now throw in the other four residents (different meds/schedules), and you get a picture of my evenings. I am with you though! I wish we were all in bed by 6:30! Maybe twenty years from now this will be so!

Patty said...

I am great at remembering telephone numbers, Names and titles to songs, not so good. I do recall the saying, and it makes the point perfectly. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»