Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Interesting yesterday.............

One of my Hospice resident had a seizure yesterday, right in the middle of the Price Is Right! Must have been too much excitement. No! I am not making light of the situation, just blowing off some stress I guess.

We have this really cool wheel chair for him, it is called a tilt-in-space wheel chair and it does just that. We can tilt him back into a reclining position, or he can be totally upright. It also has a big tray that helps him to stay in the wheel chair and holds his dishes at the perfect height. Anyway, he was up in his chair, with his back to me, and I was out in the kitchen making lunch. All of a sudden I noticed he was shaking the tray. Here I have to say that some of my residents have limited verbal skills so it is not abnormal for them to bang on something to get my attention. Continuing to make lunch I called over to him, "What do you need ____?" No response, but the tray kept shaking, so I went over to see what he needed and it was apparent he was having a full blown seizure. My first thought was to call 911, but when one is on Hospice, you are to call them and not 911.

It just so happened that the young man that I hire to weed my garden had just arrived so I called out to him to get me the number for Hospice. Poor thing, he had no idea where the number would be, but found it anyway in the time it took my brain to realize that he would have no idea where I keep the number. Smart child!

Within minutes the nurse was on the phone, and was instructing me what to do. Now here is the cool part. There would have been no way that I could have gotten the resident out of his wheel chair and into his bed by myself. Normally I am home alone during the day, but it just happened (NO! NOTHING JUST happens)that my son was over doing some work for me and as I said so was my weeder. Between the three of us we were able to get the resident into bed and resting comfortably, and all seems to be well this morning. See how ALL of my needs are met without my even knowing that I am going to be needing. Amazing!

The events of yesterday reminded me of a very vidid memory from my teen years. I was with my sister, visiting a friend of hers, when the friends neighbor came running over, screaming, with a limp blue lipped toddler in her arms. Seems the child had choked on something and wasn't breathing. This woman totally paniced and all she could think to do to get help was run to the neighbor. Thank goodness she brought the child with her as she was so scared that she could only scream and babble. (The friend was able to dislodge whatever the child had swallowed and the child was fine by the way.)

This picture has always stayed with me, and I always worried about how I would react in the face of an emergency/crisis. Most of the things that happen to my children over the years were taken care of with owwee ice, (stitches needed a time or two for good measure) so I never really got tested with my children. I guess the closest I came to a real emergency was once when I was doing home care and a client passed out on me while sitting on the toilet in a tiny bathroom. (He wasn't going. He had dementia and I was working on getting him to remember where the toliet was so he could find it when needed. We had walked in there and he was taking a break.) As I am holding him to keep him from falling off the toliet, I called out to his son to call 911 in what I hoped was a calm voice. Probably not, because in my panic, I couldn't even remember the son's name so I'm going, "Um. Excuse me. Um, Could you call 911 please. Um..." Then I am trying to decide if I could get him off the pot and out the door to the hallway without hurting him as there was no room to lay him on the floor of the bathroom. All the time I am bargining with God to fix this for me because I really hadn't been paying attention during CPR, and I didn't know if he was a DNR, and..... All of a sudden the guy takes a really big gasping breath and starts to come out of it. He gets transported to the hospital, they can find nothing wrong, he comes home, and I'll be darned if he doesn't do the same thing to me the following week. Only this time the family says, "Can't we just wait to see if he comes out of it before we call 911?" Like I'm a doctor! But he came out quicker and I didn't have to force them to dial or have the guy's death on my shoulders.

So how is that for an exciting post? How are you in a crisis situation? Do you think it makes a difference who it is, and/or how much blood is involved, or do you think your reactions would be consistant no matter what the details? Just wondering.

6 comments:

Has to be me said...

Gosh that was scary 2 note abt ur friends neighbour. Kids can really scare the hell out of us by doing such acts. I pray I dont have 2 face sucha situation.

Patty said...

Have you taken a basic first-aid class and child CPR. You do it differently than you do on adults. It's one of those things that you hope knowing it makes it so you never have to use it. (Like taking an umbrella to keep it from raining.) Also, have all your emergancy number posted (even directions to your house) sometimes when we are stressed we can't recall the simplist of things. If it is written you or someone else can read it.

In our country, we call 911 and the ambulance, police, and fire fighters come to whereever we are. How does it work in the country you are in?

You seem like a level headed enough person that I am confident you would do fine in an emergency situation. I too, pray that you never have to find that out for sure.

one4JC said...

For me it depends on the crisis.

EX:
A friend's 2 year old son went into anaphalictic (spelling?)shock at her house. After her husband took off to the ER with him she called me in a panicbecause he took all the car keys with him and she was stuck. Mind you I could not understand this all I heard was crying.....Joey........ER....... help...
I took off over there ASAP not knowing what I'd walk into...I remained calm because someone had to be on the drive to the ER with her and the other 2 kids.

--------

A child threw up in my classroom 7 years ago. On Tile...The sound made me instantly turn into a "sympathy puker"...you know ...no one pukes alone in my presence:o) They had to pull in another teacher to help out because I couldn't even help with crowd control with the rest of the kids.

Panic= Great level head
Vomit= Not so great
LOL

Patty said...

"Sympathy puker?" What are those letters?....LMAO! Not to mention I read your comment to my youngest, and she said,"I thought we were contemplating what to have for dinner?" Once you do wound care for a while, you can look/think about all kinds of yucky things and go and eat NO problem.

Patty said...

Sweet Julia,

All I can say, is what I am doing chose me, I didn't choose it. Ten years ago I would have told you you were nuts if you would have even suggested I do what I am not only doing, but loving day in and day out.

God can, and does, take the hard junk and turn it into treasures for us.

HTBE is a numbers junky, not this girl. One 4jc works with toddlers, I'm waaay to old to do that anymore. And you dear Julia, you show us all the world's beauty, in an unique way that no one else can replicate exactly, inspite of pain, limitations caused by the pain, and being responsible for the care and nurturing of two young beauties.

Four women, with four different gifts, all trying to use their God given gifts to make the world a better place for others.

I am proud to be a part of this bigger, more far reaching circle, in addition to the circle of love and support that I have in my day to day life. It is my wish that someday all of these circles will interconnect and the world will be one big bundle of love and support.

Now there is something to pray about!

Patty said...

Julia,
Take it from me...... Unless you really want your world to be crazy, be careful about praying for patience. Our God has a sense of humor, and I think he also likes us to learn through life experience. This morning, my computer was being sooooo v-e-r-y s-l-o-w, and was driving me nuts. Instead of praying for patience, I prayed for something non-valuable/breakable that I could throw across the room to relieve my stress. Doggy toys are great for that! I bet kitty toys would be good as well!