Friday, July 07, 2006

Love at its finest..................

Everyone knows that I am big on believing that I don't always get what I want, but I DO get what I need. The last day or two, I have been crossing paths with people's declarations of their love for another, and it has really helped me put into perspective my actions from last Thursday evening. Bet you'd NEVER guess what I did?

Give up?

I fired (my) Mister, and won't let him participate in my business anymore. I perfer to say he is on (forced) sabbatical.

I think I may have mentioned one or two things in the past that have hinted at his unhappiness. He is not the kind of guy that will ever come right out and say anything that he perceives as being negative, perfering instead to take a passive-aggressive stance. In fact, in discussing his termination, his take on things was that since I say, "I know him so well," I should have read his behavior and known that he didn't want to be involved to the extent that I was asking him to be. Really? Well guess what?

Deep down, I did know. I just wasn't sure what to do about it. I tend to have tunnel vision when I have a goal in mind. Things were going so well towards the goal of getting out of debt and getting money in the bank for retirement, that I opted for not looking at what was happening to the other goals in my life. Even though I say I can do anything I set out to do, I really didn't think I could do this thing by myself. (Diclaimer here...... I am still getting lots of help and support from my youngest bless her heart, so I am not doing it totally totally alone.) Bonus for me......... The business continues to run smoothly without (my) Mister's assistance, and this has been really empowering for me. It might seem silly to some that I am paying someone to be here so I can get one full night of sleep per week, and go to the grocery store, while (my) Mister is here as well. One can't put a dollar value on happiness and I am hopefull that having his free time back to relax and/or do whatever he wants to do with his time will bring some of the missing joy back into his life. It might take me an additional six months to pay off the debt by having to funnel some of the profits to pay for staff, but in regards to the big picture, this is nothing.

Meanwhile......... Poor Mister is feeling a bit lost, in regards to knowing what to do with his free time. My first intinct is to rush in and fix this for him. God knows there is plenty to do around the house that has nothing to do with the business, (Can anyone say, "doggie door?") but he really needs to find his own priorities or he will continue to be unhappy and unfullfilled. It is really hard to watch someone you love stuggle with change!

I have to take this opportunity to say that (my) Mister did a great job of supporting my dreams, and helping me to get the business off the ground. Now it is time to fly solo, and I am ready. It is far more important to me to have a happy Mister than a business partner. Since I had to make a choice, I chose the best choice for me. I hope that it will also turn out to be the best choice for (my) Mister when all is said and done.

3 comments:

Has to be me said...

Goodluck! Im sure u can do well by urself :)

Patty said...

Thank you! Me too.

Patty said...

Julia,

Just like there is more then one way to skin a cat, there is more than one way to support a loved one. I can't wait to see how (my) Mister figures out how he wants to support me next. I am sure it will work out to my advantage.

Akin to this is what I have done with my kids as they got older. If their poor choices didn't come along with natural consequences, I would have them come up with their own punishments. They were always harsher on themselves than I would have been, plus how could they complain........ They were the one that had come up with it. Bonus for me!

Thanks for the encouragement!