Sunday, July 02, 2006

A day in the life of.............

Imagine........... After sleeping in as late as you want, someone had a warm shower ready for you,as well as a heated towel for when you were finished. Not only do they was your hair, massaging your scalp, but they rub yummy smelling lotion all over your body, and help you put on clothes that bring back happy memories; listening as you share the same memory over and over, giving you their full attention each and every time.

After you are clean, dressed, lotioned, and perfumed, they have some of your favorite foods already prepared for your enjoyment, and make sure you understand that it is okay to just eat what you want, and that you don't HAVE to eat or drink anything you chose not to.

As you are finishing your breakfast, your personal hairdresser arrives, and treats you to a special hair cut, and blow dry. Though you don't recognize yourself in the mirror, the style reminds you of "one you used to wear," and the person in the mirror has a blouse just like one you used to have, which reminds you of the time you wore that blouse. Add to this everyone around you is telling you how pretty you look, and your grin can't help but spread ear to ear. Especially when you discover that in addition to getting your hair done, you are also being treated to a manicure.

After your hands are tended to, you are treated to your favorite lunch; cashews, Bushes baked beans, ice cream with fresh strawberries,and ice water with just enough sugar in it to make it "the best water" you ever tasted.

Your glorious morning ends in a long leisurely nap on a down pillow, covered with a down comforter. Wouldn't you be calm and serine? Our new resident sure was.

At least for today, gone was all the agitation, wandering, and aggressive behavior. In it's place was a happy content person that waved me excitedly over to her when I returned from my run, (bonus for me, getting that in!) to ask me if I knew someone by the name of "Day," and when I told her no, she patted the chair beside her to get me to sit down so she could tell me all about her close circle of girlfriends from high school.

After dinner, she and I took the dogs for a short walk, and played a little catch with a big purple (her favorite color) ball for some arm exercise. She spent the rest of the evening happily reading a large print Reader's Digest out loud to me. Every once in awhile she would say, " Well I don't understand that. If we are suppose to understand that, we all need new heads. Well I guess everyone will just have to read it for themselves," and then went happily back to reading outloud.

I am not sure who is happier with this outcome, her or me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure sounds like this dear soul just needs someone to provide some tender loving care at this fearful time of her life. If anyone can do it you can--love you. You are the best!! (OTR)

Patty said...

Thank you! My tale is an example of how powerful love and kindness is, and how great a change loving kindness can make is a person's life.

Thank you for praciticing loving kindness, not only towards me, but towards all the other fortunate people you come into contact with.

Love you right back!

Patty said...

Take a number sister (LOL)..... All of my friends say this to me (Which is right up there with the highest compliment anyone could give me.) One more reason I have to get that "perfect" nursing home built...... WE are going to be the ones needing it!

I read that you have been under the weather/mac truck... Hugs to you for feeling better.