Friday, June 23, 2006

BUSTED..................

Yesterday, early afternoon, I had a visit from law enforcement in the form of animal control. Besides being mildly annoyed that he showed up five minutes after I had finally sat down to eat my lunch, I was really saddened by his visit.

First, it was obvious that this was NOT this guys favorite thing to do, and I felt bad for him that he was having to play "bad cop," when he was clearly not comfortable doing so. The poor man rang the door bell which of course sent Ben and Emma into bold barking fits of noise. I invited him in and he ask if the dogs bit; I guess he HAD to ask since it is a hazzard of his job, but you've all seen pictures of my dogs and fierce looking they are not. I told him "No! They wouldn't bite him, they would just try and get out, or keep barking if I stepped outside to talk with him.

Once inside he shared the reason for his visit; (His words, not mine.) "You're neighbor is out to get your dogs." He went on to tell me that this neighbor was keeping a log and taking pictures, and was planning on taking me to court. WOW! I explained to the officer that with the business I run lots of people come to the door, and if they don't know about the dogs they often open the door without sticking their foot inside first, (a trick I teach all frequent visitors) and off the dogs go for a little joy run. At this point he refered to his clip board and ask if they had been loose at eleven thirty that morning. Sure enough. Either the young man that helps me weed my garden didn't latch the gate, or else the meter reader had visited and left the gate open, but as I was making lunch I heard this scatching sound coming from the garage and when I looked out there were their two happy faces, panting tounges and all.

By this time, the dogs had figured out that the officer wasn't there to visit with them so they went back to snoozing on the sofa. The officer continued to share my neighbors complaints and this one was my favorite. "You allow your daughter to walk the dogs, and she is unable to control them." It was all I could do not to laugh, but even the officer had a smile on his face when I told him that my daughter was seventeen, and while she might let them get away from her for fun, she really has no problem controlling them. (They weigh about twelve pounds each.) I could tell that the officer had many conflicting emotions, having to do his job and follow up on the complaint, but finding it hard to believe my little cuties were really a menace to the neighborhood.

I was quick to claim responsibility for my dogs. I understand the leash laws and know I am suppose to keep them from running loose at all times. I really tried not to offer excuses while giving explainations as to why I am not always successful at this. Bottom line is we need to get better at stopping the dogs from being dogs if we want them to remain part of the family. This makes me sad for them. I understand the not everyone is a dog lover, first hand in fact since I used to be in that camp.

Mosly, I feel really sad that my neighbor has nothing better to do with his time than keep a log of my dogs transgressions. He was here when I moved in eighteen years ago, and though he never spoke directly to me, he has screamed at me once when I was in the middle of chasing Ben to disipline him for running away and Ben stepped onto his grass. He has also called the city on me a couple of times when the trash people dumped my trash and left a couple of pieces of it in the road. (I was happy that he did this as at the time I was calling the city for the same reason. They had changed trash companies without a citizen vote, and the new company was leaving trash all over the place. I actually thanked him for calling that time.) My point is neither of us has spent a lot of time over the years getting to know one another or being friends. Imagine my surprise, while at the community center last fall getting flu shots for the residents ,when this man came up to me and started chatting and shared with me that he was battling bladder cancer. He was feeling upbeat about his recovery, and I offered him encouragement, wished him well, and walked away thinking it very strange that he had bothered to talk with me, especially about such a personal subject.

So, me in my little glass half full world, added this man's health problems to my prayer list, and he put my dogs on his hit list. As Alanis would say, "Isn't it ironic?"

As soon as the officer left, I posted notes on both doors to warn people not to open the door before someone comes to it, and have posted their leashes at the door to hook them up before opening. I am debating whether or not I should start chaining them up when they go out to potty as a safegaurd to the gate being left open. And I am stepping up my prayers for my neighbors peace. Please join me in that, as well as praying that Ben and Emma adjust to the new rules of captivity. Thanks!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad that Emma and Ben are on a hit list!! They certainly are far from dangerous. Possibly this person is ill and feeling it so he is angry at the world and every living thing in it rather than rejoicing that he is still alive. Too bad--I will remember the E & B rule and always be careful opening the door. Tell them they must be careful as they are on the "wanted list" \!! Love ya' (OTR)

Patty said...

Imagine! Just as boys will be boys, dogs will be dogs, and we will do the best we can to keep them contained. Thanks for your help in advance. Love ya more!

Anonymous said...

This guy is a putz. Drop $4.95 and send him one of these:

http://www.getrevengeonyourex.com/shop/shopletterlarge.php?p=13

Patty said...

Anonymous,

I checked out the recommended site. I am not sure about sending it to my neighbor, but I sure got lots of laughs out of looking at what the site has to offer.

As I was looking I even thought of one of two exs from my past that I might have wanted to send one of the packages to. Guess it is good that I've lost touch with them.

Did you send one to someone? How was it received?

Anonymous said...

This is a tough one as I would be thoroughly agitated with a neighbor who did that to me. But remember, we must forgive 7 times 70 those who try to hurt us. Maybe write him an apology or try to make amends by visiting him and explaining your new intention. If that doesn't work, chalk it up as an "I tried". I'll be praying for this situation.
Heart

one4JC said...

I'm sorry to say that I actually laughed out loud when I got to the part of Prayer list vs. Hit list...I pictured a man with a pencil looking very Italian and drawing pictures of your dogs on a sheet of paper to give to the hit man...LOL

I will pray for him.

I think you may have inspired a post for me...

Patty said...

Good to hear from you heart!

I find it interesting that the last three times I have been in the front yard, said neighbor has also been outside. This gave me an opprotunity to to wave and say, "Hello! How are you?" Which is pretty much all the conversation I ever have with any of my neighbors, that and sending cookie boxes at Christmas. Other than that, working at home, I am too busy to foster neighborhood freindships.

One4jc,

It was suppose to be funny! See you are getting to know my sense of humor. Picturing your Italian artist got me giggling, my neighbor is much more a grandfather type than a Godfather type! Looking forward to your post!

Julia,

Isn't it something what we bring with us from childhood, that we then set out to change when we have our children?

After growing up in my foster home (Looking back on it, we were probably the rift raft of the neighborhood. My foster-father collected old tractors instead of cars, and they were always having chicken and pig slautering parties, followed by drunken brawls.) the one thing I learned while growing up, was "HOW I DIDN'T WANT TO RAISE MY CHILDREN!" Oh! And "Sh*t For Brains" sounds like something they would use to refer to anyone of us at any given time.

I agree that my neighbor is lonely. It will be interesting to see what happens when the power of prayer is directed his way.

Thanks to all of you for taking part in that.

Sheri said...

We had a dog that got out every time he door opened. I had foster kids always running in and out so this was nearly all the time. I don't know how your house is set up, but we put a gate on the porch that has a slide bolt. It is always shut and people shut it as they come through. So, if the dogs get out, they are trapped on the porch. :) I'll be thinking about you and the pups!

Patty said...

Thanks for visiting Sheri,

That sounds like a great idea. The problem with my house is that we have a ramp that runs from the driveway up to the front door, and if we put a gate at the end of the ramp I am not sure how it would be opened and not be in the way when transfering people from the end of the ramp to the cars without being in the way. As it turns out, hooking them on the leash before opening the door is working pretty well. A few hundred more visitors and I am sure that they will be running right for the leashes when they hear the doorbell ring instead of the door as is their habit now.

Patty said...

Kim,

You hit the nail right on the head! I am old enough that I know what was important to me last week may not be important to me next week. Everyone would laugh if I told them I was going to put (my)Mister's name on my body, as he is husband number three. I also have three kids, all of them with six or seven letter first names. If I decide on using theit names, I already know the place....... My stomach, the only place big enough on me that they would all fit together. But then when I have my surgery to get rid of my sagging skin it will have been a waste........ The dilemma continues.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

Patty said...

I think you are safe Kim,

If you look around, I think you will see many more saggy droopy bellys than you will saggy droopy backs! Good placement choice!