Saturday, January 26, 2008

What about you?.................

Walking through the television room yesterday I heard the question, "What is the most you have ever spent on a pair of shoes?"

I checked with my youngest and we determined it was $60.00 (for a pair that regular price was $300.00). Considering that some people think nothing of spending a thousand bucks on a pair of shoes I guess my shoe splurges are pretty pathetic.

What about you? And Random, if you think hubby might see your response some day, it is okay for you to apply selective memory when answering.

*************************************************************************************

Dr. Oz had a chef as his guest on yesterday's show. A writer for Esquire did a piece on the two of them regarding how the career of a heart surgeon and a chef are similar.

Dr. Oz ask this chef if he could pick, what would his last meal be. The chef actually took the question up a notch and told how he had been ask a similar question that added, "where would it be, and what kind of music would be playing?"

I still haven't come up with my final menu, but I actually like to eat very simply. Since I know the place, a sunny beach, and the music, the surf splashing against the shore, I am thinking that pre-sliced fruits and veggies maybe with a little cheese would go well with the scene. What would make those foods special is someone else preparing them for me. Of course it would have to be someone close to me because I don't like strangers touching my food (but that is another post). And of course all those close to me would be there to share the meal with me, just dying to do something for me, so this little quirk of mine would not be a problem.

What about you? What would you pick for your last meal, including the surroundings and who would be there?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably about 250 USD (shoes).

That question just send me into all sorts of troubles.. lol. I sat and thought for a while about my 'last meal' and while I find it easy to pick people that I would like to share it with, it is very obvious that my favourite foods are all still 'bad' choices. Unhealthy stuff. So I'm going to keep the question for another time. But quite revealing for me, to even think about it. Thanks Patty.

Random Musings said...

Ok MAX I have ever spent on shoes and I was SUPER embarrassed to do it was $98.69
I hate to spend over $30 and this was the only time I ever did. I GASPED when I saw them and I HAD.TO.HAVE.THEM.
They were purple patent leather Guess shoes... Oh I feel a blog coming on about it...

Patty said...

Maybe it is just me Dee, but I think that there could NEVER be bad choices when it comes to one's last meal. If it is the last meal there would not be much point to hang onto a worldly view of what it is going to do to the body that we are about to shed.

If the question taught you something about yourself then it's all good.

P.S.

In all the "last meals" I have served to my hospice patients none of them would be considered healthy, just yummy, to them. Last night's meal was biscuits and gravy (A big yuck to me). He didn't actually eat it, but we put a taste on his tounge for him to enjoy. The smell helped us to enjoy many memories of him as we remembered how it was his favorite, etc... That is how food can become a blessing.

Patty said...

I remember when you told me about discovering those shoes Random, and how you fell instantly in love with them.

Do post pictures with the post.

Maria said...

Ugh. The most I ever spent on shoes was 800 smackers for a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo's. This was pre-Liv, though, when I had more money than I knew what to do with and saving it wasn't high on my list....

As for my last meal...easy. Since it is my LAST meal and I don't have to worry about carbs, etc...

I would want KFC. Fried chicken (extra crispy), mashers and gravy, cole slaw and biscuits. At least two biscuits. And chocolate milk, a huge glass of it.

The company? This is going to sound unsocial...but I want to eat alone with a good book. I don't want to have to keep a conversation going with anyone, I just want to sit in a softly lighted room, nice and warm, with my book and a bunch of artery clogging food.

Patty said...

You spent $800 on ONE pair of shoes??? And I thought my esteem for you was high before! I have elevated you to goddess status for having the self-esteem to spend that kind of money to adorn your feet! (Ramdom, did you pass out when you read Maria's comment?)

You make your last meal sound perfect, but not for me. About 15 years ago, I was visiting my sister and we went to KFC, just as they closed, so they gave us this great deal on Chicken and we got an entire bucket (for 3 people). I had been flirting with giving up meat, and that night the chicken didn't sit good and ended up being the last meat I ate for about 12 years. Over the past several (years)I have gone back to eating a bit here and there if I am too lazy to cook two meals.

I dream about getting sick after eating chocolate and/or ice cream as I'm sure I would lose that last 20 pounds (or so)that just can bear the thought of leaving my body. More of me to love right?

Thanks for answering my questions, and since my favorite place to eat is in bed, alone I don't think you are anti-social at all.

T-girl said...

I can not answer the first part without spontaniously combusting but we will just say I have a pair of the softest, most gorgous Italian Leather Boots that I bought in Luxembourg City... at the mall! They were on sale though so... yeah, ok must b,ock this from my mind but damn if I don't love those boots! ;)

Patty said...

T-girl,

Tells you what I know...I thought it would be Random condeming herself to Hell (again)for spending a ton of money on one pair of shoes, but seems that girl REALLY knows how to budget!

Why does your comment bring to mind a picture of you sneaking into your closet, sitting on the floor in the dark, happily petting your boots?

The other picture in my head is of me drooling!

Will you share when Baby J's foot grows to your size?

one4JC said...

Ok the most on a pair of shoes was around $75...I was having many knee problems and needed the wake up call in order for me to face the fact that I needed to lose weight....

My LAST meal would be Steak (well done), Mashed Potatoes, Creamed corn, a roll with butter, a big glass of milk and then for dessert a bowl of vanilla ice cream with Nestle Quik powder sprinkled on the top with a touch of milk in the bottom of the bowl and then chocolate syrup on top of course! Not that I have given it much thought :o)

I would want Praise and worship music in the background and I would be surrounded by all those that I love.

Patty said...

So Maria is still in the lead on the shoe spending.

Your last meal (One4JC) reminds me of many a Sunday dinner at my family home. All except the Quik on the ice cream (though it does sound pretty good).

Oh! Though surrounded by those that I loved during those Sunday dinners instead of praise and worship music for background noise it was yelling, fighting, and shouting to be heard over one another. Your idea sounds much more peaceful.