Friday, January 04, 2008

Choosing fear........................

I have mentioned before how much my families willingness to run on a relay team beside me while I completed my marathon meant to me. For some silly reason they love para sailing like I love running and wanted to share the joy with me. Did I mention that I am not a fan of heights?

Being the loving, giving person I am I couldn't deny their request after what they had done for me. In other words, I was going as a way of cancelling my debt. "I go up in the air, consider yourself paid in full" was more like how it came across to them. Regardless I agreed and we piled into the boat along with two other couples.

I insisted on being first, knowing if I watched anyone else do it I would not be able to go through with my plans. The tears began as we pulled away from the dock, and my last words to the guy as he told me to sit down and relax was, "take me up for thirty seconds and then get me down."

Apparently he thought I was joking...

As the wind caught my sail and I went up and off the boat I gave in to the complete and utter terror of the situation. It was almost as if I were having an out of body experience because one part of my mind was watching myself hanging high over the ocean, eyes squeezed tightly shut so as not to see how high, hands gripping the ropes, tears streaming, screaming at the top of my lungs, "I want to come down" while at the same time thinking, "What is wrong with you silly girl? Do you really think they would do this if it wasn't safe?"

And still I choose to let the fear envelope me, swallow me, and penetrate every fiber of my being. I ended up having exactly the experience I wanted to have, maybe needed to have.

Of course nothing physical happen to me, eventually the boat got me low enough that the others heard my screams and my ride mercifully ended. Poor Mister all he could do was hold me and repeat over and over that he was very proud of me and I never had to do it again. How right he is about that!

Since that afternoon I have been using that experience as a way of working on the expanded notion that I/we choose how we react to every life circumstances. It is very clear to me that I deliberately stayed in the fear of the moment when I could have talked myself right through it and enjoyed the ride as much as the rest of the participants did. I think, at the time, I was more interested in proving that I could do something for someone else that I had no desire to do more than I was interested in sharing the experience with them. Why in the world would I think this makes me more noble, possibly even superior? SO NOT the case!

When we left for home there was a pretty big wind storm going on, making for a rocky take-off and much turbulence and yet I wasn't the least bit frightened. Isn't that interesting? This fact simply supports my idea that I chose to not be afraid in the airplane just as I chose to wallow in fear a couple of days before.

The moral of this story?

The first step in conquering our fears is to face them. Introduce yourself to your fear and then ask the fear what it has to teach you about yourself and about life. Only then can you make an informed choice of whether or not to embrace and stay in the fear to learn that lesson, or move on through it to learn a different one.

6 comments:

Daniele said...

Wow. You're amazing for even considering to do this, let alone do it!
Amazing.

And you're dead on about fear. Facing your fears is an important step in everyone's development it helps head-in-the-sand people like me to learn a lot about themselves.

Patty said...

Instead of resolutions for 2008, I have a few mantras to focus on. One of them is "The absence of love is fear." Thus, if I can stay with love there will be no fear.

Thanks for thinking I am amazing, but really I am just me. What might have been amazing is if I had realized what I did earlier, and I became a convert of flying in the air with only a few ropes to keep me air-borne. But I learned in spite of myself... Now that is amazing!

Lena said...

That was a great post. I admire your willingness to even give it a try! WoW!

Lena

Patty said...

Thanks Lena,

Being blessed with a family that would do (and have done)anything for me was the motivative force that got me up in the air.

Being able to tease me forever more ended up being a bonus for them!

Another of my mantras for 2008 is "What would I do today if I were brave?"

Rajesh &Shankari said...

Happy New Year Patty from both of us!

Patty said...

You're back from India! Happy New Year to the two of you as well, along with mulitudes of blessings for your hearts desires.

Are you back to your cooking classes yet? Enjoy 2008! Love to ___.