Sunday, January 13, 2008

Choices...........................

I read the following during my morning quiet time today:

God gave us faces;
We make our own expressions.

(Anonymous)


How true is that? Regardless the situation we can chose to smile, frown, clench our teeth, or let our mouth hang open in disbelief. Whatever expression we wear is a reflection of what is going on inside of us (except, of course for those of you that have mastered the "poker" face).

In a reflective question akin to, "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" I believe that our inner thoughts and feelings take lead over our facial expressions. In that case it is more beneficial to us to work on our inner stuff knowing that our outer expression will fall in line with whatever we are feeling.

I am sure you have all seen a person that in the midst of crisis continues to look peaceful and serene. This is a person that has not only discovered who and what they are, but discovered how to be comfortable with who and what they are. I want to be that person...

So I keep working towards moving through my fears, speaking my gratitude out loud, and practicing self-love. And just in case you're reading Doctor Phil, it's working just great for me!

4 comments:

Maria said...

I aspire to this sort of thing. Some days, I can almost master it. Other days, no way in hell.

Work in progress.

Thanks for stopping by. Nice to meet you.

Patty said...

Maria,

If we were anything but a work in progress what would there be to work on?

From reading your blog I am of the opinion that you are doing pretty darn good with learning life's lessons.

Daniele said...

Great post Patty! And I love the title.. choices. I can relate to what you say and I immediately thought of one person in particular when you said 'person that in the midst of crisis continues to look peaceful and serene'. It is true that we have a choice on how we react to anything, really. What sort of emotions we are going to display (or not). And of course this totally fits the bill regarding weight loss and the choice I try to make every day in regards to my healthier lifestyle.
Love this post!!

Patty said...

Thanks Daniele,

I love your comments, and you.