Monday, January 28, 2008

The latest use of Craig's List........................

Did you hear that some woman advertised for a hit man to murder her lover's wife on Craig's List?

Made me wonder about the depth of her desperation? Or maybe she just wanted attention? To see if she could get away with it? What would compel someone to act in this manner?

First, Craig's List was no-way involved, or at fault so keep using it for the purpose it was intended for. Apparently, the couple of people that answered this add for "employment" called the police once they determined the woman was not joking.

Second, the woman was married herself, which doesn't give me good feelings for her lover. Back when I was checking out on-line dating services I used to get these e-mails from married men whose "wives didn't understand them." I would write them back and tell them to treat their wives like the most special person in the entire world for two full months and if she still "didn't understand them" I would "consider" chatting with them. Interestingly enough I NEVER heard from them again.

When I discovered my first husband's affair I ask for a meeting with the two of them. His girlfriend said to me, "So what if we are sleeping together." My words for her, "Last time I checked sleeping with another man's wife would classify one as a whore. So I guess if you don't have a problem with the label than neither do I." The look on her face gave me much more satisfaction than having her killed ever could.

Getting on my soapbox for a minute so feel free to scroll past it...

Have enough respect for yourself to be honest in, and about your relationships. Whether a marriage, partnership, friendship, or working relationship invest in the relationship what you want to get out of it. Not all relationships are meant to last forever, and it IS possible to have an amicable ending. If you have given to your relationship what you have, and it isn't working respect the relationship enough to find a resolution to it. And just for the record, lying, cheating, and deception are not acceptable ways to resolve things. These things really suck when they are done to you, but much more importantly they eventually destroy the person you are if you continue to practice them. Stepping down now...

When I hear stories like this one, I try and imagine what would have to occur for me to put a hit out on someone. I will admit to screaming at my kids things like, "Knock off the fighting or I'm going to end it for you both" a time or two. Heck, in my most dysfunctional moments I have even picked up a knife and threatened with it, but since I have also been at the other end of a knife a couple of times I can say with authority these were just threats, and not designed for lasting harm. What I have learned, one bad relationship at a time, is that if I so desire there can always be another bad relationship out there for me to screw up if I want it, without risking be imprisoned by the penal system. Move along people and forget the hit man. The drama fix it might give you is just not worth it.

Maybe I should have (my) Mister step in here and take an oath or something that the only role knifes play in our relationship these days is in food prep, and neither of us think we are in a bad relationship, but it might be more interesting to keep ya all wondering.

Fortunately for me, I finally learned how to love and respect myself. It was only at that time that I could appreciate the goodness of someone like (my) Mister and enter into a positive relationship with him. Translation...No need to snoop through my Craig's List account honey to see what I was up to while you were gone for the weekend. You already know what's listed there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. You are my best teacher in relationship and spiritual matters.
(my) Mister

Patty said...

I like that. You should comment more often.

Nancy said...

OH MY
(on so many levels)

one4JC said...

I have to be honest that the thought did run through my mind about picking up one of the guns in the room when Big Red told me he had an affair....

First off, I am way too cheap to hire someone.
Second, I am enough of a perfectionist that I wouldn't trust someone else to do the job and have it traced back to me...

Lastly, That whole moral compass thing :-) I do have more respect for myself than to end it like that.

PS I do LOVE the comment you made to the soon to be ex husband's girlfriend!!!! Last time I checked... LOL!!!

Patty said...

Ahh One4JC,

To this day that conversation remains one of my favorite memories of that whole ugly time.

Maria said...

Wow. Confronting your husband's mistress? And she had no problem with meeting you? That is pretty brazen and she deserved whatever you had to throw....

Patty said...

If I remember correctly Marie, I don't think my ex exactly told her I was coming (ya, I know, nice guy). She married him anyway (two months after our divorce was final) and our house rule was to "treat her with respect as your father's wife." My kids formed their own (independent) opinions of her as they grew older, and I ended up deciding the two of them had done me a favor as I grew a great deal from the whole experience.