Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Walking to Cozumel......................................


The first two mornings of vacation I got up and did a quick run to the outskirts of Cozumel and back, round trip about thirty minutes. At the end of day two there was talk of wanting to go into town and do some shopping. I suggested that we walk the distance into town and assured everyone that since I got to the outskirts in such a short time it couldn't be that much farther to the heart of town (they all know what a slow runner I am). (my) Mister tried to disagree with me, but my confidence won out and a plan was hatched to walk to town after breakfast the following day.

As you have probably already guessed, the distance turned out to be farther than we could cover in thirty minutes (my prediction), and after we had been walking for an hour I had a small mutiny on my hands (NOT (my) Mister of course...He knows better). The boyfriend had worn new sandals and had sprouted a couple of blisters, and he and my youngest threw in the towel and hailed a cab. Silly kids, look what they missed:

This beautiful water feature
and the opportunity to try and put their heads in the lion's mouth


And the beautiful visuals we saw as we walked the last little bit.

For the record, When we took a taxi back to our hotel (I knew there would be no point in even trying to get them to walk back) the cost was seven dollars. When I ask the kids what it cost them for their taxi ride they told me two dollars. Oh! Ya! And that it was "TOTALLY worth it." The point of the fact that getting there was the best part of the journey had been totally lost on them.

About ten minutes after the kids had jumped into a cab, (my) Mister and I caught up to them in a store. I was feeling energized and ready to do some damage to our spending money fund. The response to my question of, "Where do you want to go first" was, "Back to the hotel. We are too tired from walking to enjoy shopping." Do you believe that? Such feather weights I hang out with!

So we piled into a cab and headed back to nap on the beach, leaving the shopping for another day. And that folks was my experience walking to Cozumel.

No comments: