Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rags to riches......................
SELF-EMPOWERING QUOTE OF THE WEEK From WWW.HOLISTICLEARNINGCENTER.COM

A self-made millionaire was asked to what he attributed his success...he had come from a very poor home with adopted parents who made it clear that they really didn't think he'd really amount to anything. So when asked, his answer was,

"I had all the disadvantages required for success."
~ Larry Ellis


After this quote, the following question was posed:

Have you ever wondered how someone can turn their rags into riches?

That is exactly my take on my early childhood experiences, and while I am making some of my living from my transformation I am talking more about spiritual/inner riches here.

Close on the heels of my parent's death (five months apart when I was eight years old), was a less than stellar stay at a less than stellar foster home. Without a doubt, my time there had a direct correlation on the way I chose to parent; EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF THE WAY I HAD BEEN TREATED. Considering the way my kids have turned out the negative treatment I received as a child was worthwhile.

In addition to my parents, a couple of "adopted" parents, and some special nursing home patients, the death of three of my five siblings has all played a role in my coming to terms with the process of death and dying.

I have gone from someone that used to get the willies just driving past a funeral home, to someone that willingly invites death into my home, AND sees the process as a gift. It didn't happen over-night, and some of the loses were harder on me than others, but in retrospect they all played a role in my being able to feel the way I do about the transition from this world, as well as my ability to help others when their loved ones transition. I can't begin to tell you how being able to do so blesses me and makes me feel like I am fulfilling my life purpose. I have yet to find a better feeling than knowing I am fulfilling my life purpose, doing "what I am suppose to be doing."

So what hardships have you overcome and turned into blessings; for you or others? What are you going through right now that you might look at a different way and turn it into a positive? I would love to hear about your rags to riches experiences. Maybe you could blog about them? If you do let me know.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I think my professional drive was definitely fueled by rags. My mother kept saying she wanted to do all these things (travel was her main topic) but she couldn't. So, I guess she did me a favor there. Other things, I'm not so sure about. I have her gift for negativity for sure and even used to swear when I was a teen that I would not be like her but I am in a lot of ways. Maybe I can use this as impetus to turn that around. Thanks! :D

Patty said...

Nancy,

Thanks for sharing. When under stress I would agree the tendancy to revert back to what we lived as a child is there, but I would encourage you to take a look at ALL the work you have put in to consiously be different, and all the ways you you are different starting with the difference in your parenting sytle and moving down the line.