Monday, December 11, 2006

Patty’s BIG event……………………

Most of you have heard the history of the “get healthy” journey I have been on over for past two years. I have come to enjoy exercise, and accomplish physical goals that I would have never dreamed possible at the start of my quest. Along the road I have learned so much about myself, and I have come to believe there is NOTHING I can’t achieve if I want it bad enough.

Starting out wearing a (tight) size sixteen, I have reduced myself to a size fourteen, then a ten/twelve, and since going off sugar and processed foods to a size eight/ten. What is left behind is a saggy, flabby, hanging skin tummy and still too proportionately large for my frame breasts. Besides the fact that it just plain looks gross and in no way makes me look as healthy as I am, it causes problems for me when I run and exercise. Anytime I run over five miles (sometimes shorter distances, and I CAN hear you guys out there saying, “Well just don’t go that far then,” so cut it out) I get rashes, welts, and other uncomfortables that I won't discribe. To take care of these problems and to make me look and feel better about myself, I am going to have a tummy tuck and Breast reduction/lift tomorrow.

I have been planning and preparing for this for a long time, but I didn’t want to share this idea until I was pretty sure it was a reality. Do you have dreams like that, that you prefer to keep to yourself? I first saw a surgeon to discuss the possibility last May, then again in October when we set the date.

That was when the real planning began. Theoretically, one can put in for time off work, and that pretty much takes care of things. If one is a mother, this makes things a bit more difficult since there are additional plans to be made for the children. Well, for me, not only are there children, but Ops, and all that goes into that. Oh, yes! Let’s not forget what is happening on December twenty-fifth. Lots to be done for that special day. I will not bore you with the details, just believe me when I say I have been busy.

I have had presents purchased, wrapped and under the tree for weeks now. All the baking is done, and some of that has been delivered as well. I have two weeks worth of meals and detailed instructions written down. Durable Power of Attorney papers signed and witnessed, and letters written to my children and (my) Mister. Don’t think this is morbid, surgery however minor comes with risks, and I could not stand the thought of something happening without leaving these letters. I have actually been going to do this for years, but have never gotten around to it. Now I had a the perfect reason to write them, I plan to up-date them every December.

Last Tuesday morning, I had my pre-surgery phone interview. After that, I was letting myself get excited, and had almost convinced myself it was okay to share the news with all of you, when the phone rang. It was my surgeon’s office letting me know that unless I had a full cardiac work-up and a nuclear stress test, the anesthesiologist was canceling my surgery. Everything I had worked for was slipping through my fingers. I called my primary doctor in tears and told her what was going on. Miracle of miracles she was able to get the two part test I needed ordered for the next day and the day after. How often does this happen? Oh! NEVER! I am truly, truly blessed!

This was the test that I referred to in an earlier post, the one that spoiled my night out with (my) Mister and youngest that they never complained about once. I want to take a minute to brag here. Not only did I pass the test with flying colors, I got up to fourteen mets this time (from ten last time, someone my age should be able to reach eight), and went for twelve minutes on the treadmill. Of course I could have gone much longer, but twelve minutes is the full length of the test. I got the word last Friday afternoon that I have cardiac clearance and the surgery is on. I am in great shape, and have been eating as if in training (extra, extra healthy) and doing meditation and breathing exercises to help me deal with the pain after surgery. (my) Mister has liked this part because it is his job to pinch me while I listen to my relaxation music and block out the pinches. Sort of like Lamaze training. I am ready, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I even wrote up this little note to give to the surgical staff. It reads as follows:

December 12, 2006

Dear surgical participant,

Don’t worry if the operating room feels a bit crowded during my surgery today. I have invited my guardian angel/angels/ and spirit guides, as well as your guardian angel/angels/ and spirit guides to attend my operation. Feel free to call upon yours as needed, and please request that mine assist me if need be as I will be unconscious and unable to do so for myself.

Thank you in advance for your attention to detail during my surgery, and for doing your best work. I am confident that I am in the best of hands and absolutely certain that everything will go just the way it is meant to.

Sincerely,

While I am serious about the content of the note, I am also hoping to generate a laugh or two, since laughter is the best medicine. How often do you think they get ask to read a note such as this before beginning their work day? Oh! NEVER!

One other thing I want to share… On December first, my youngest came up with a GREAT idea that we do the twelve days before surgery, instead of the twelve days of Christmas. This means that each day leading up to surgery (and since we like presents so much, we are doing the day of as well) we all give one another a present. Almost all of the presents my youngest have given to me and (my) Mister have been service gifts, the hardest ones to give, but the best to receive. I also have to say that both myself and my youngest have been extremely impressed with the gifts that (my) Mister is giving us. I do believe that after seven years the man is finally figuring out how to listen to us. For example, I was mentioning that I needed to get some more of the new bold fruit flavored tic tacs that I like, and the next day that was what I got for my present. Good job honey! We have all decided we should make “the twelve days before __________” a regular part of our lives since we had so much fun doing it.

Doctor says I can’t lift for two weeks. I can however begin walking the day after surgery and begin running again when I feel ready to do so. I am planning on being extra good and cautious for the first two weeks (at least), as I don’t want to do anything that will keep me from a full recovery by the time of my half marathon the end of February. I hope to be back to blog world by the end of the week, even if I have to dictate to (my) Mister. In the meantime, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Keep (my) Mister there as well since he is going to not only be running the business by himself, but taking care of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud or you and have tears in my eyes at how you never stop praising those around you!!

PLEASE if I can do anything for any of you, be sure to call. Be sue (Mr.) has my number. (ORA)

Patty said...

Remember after the Kidney stone fiasco how you programed your number into my phone? So yes, we have it, and will use it as needed, and to let you know how things go.

Random Musings said...

I love your note for the staff and I will hold you in my prayers.
GOOD LUCK and my Angels are on their way