Sunday, December 17, 2006

Angels at Christmas, and all year long.......................

One of the twelve days before surgery present I received was a coffee cup with a snow (woman) angel on it. As I was drinking my coffee this morning, I began to think about all of the angels that cross our path each and every day, and how lucky we are to have them in our lives.

I am sure that the rest of you are not like me, and always pick up a cart or basket on your way into a store. Even though this has NEVER been my reality, I continue to convince myself that I am only getting one or two things so I don't need a basket. A few weeks ago, I needed a bag of carrots and a bottle of juice. Absolutely, positively, I was not spending another dime. After all, I had just been in the store shopping for real the day before. Of course, by the time I reached the juice isle I already had four or five small items, and then I noticed that Verners soda was on sale.

I had been watching for it to go on sale, because one day while talking to a customer service rep regarding our mortgage account, I found out that she used to live in my state and the one thing she missed the most since moving away was Vernors. I told her I would send her some so she could have a little taste of home. So, here I was, hands full of items, juggling two twelve packs of soda on my right hip, working my way back to the front of the store. I kid you not, a very nice person stopped me and insisted I put my stuff into her cart, took her few items out of the cart, and went to find another one for herself. Now if that isn't an angel at work, I don't know what would be.

I not only have many friend angels, that are there for whatever without being ask, I also have some great relative angels. One of my sister-in-laws called me last night to see how I was doing. She was all apologetic for not having called sooner because of work and getting ready for Christmas. She has a busy life, as do we all, and yet she made checking in on me a priority. That made me feel really good, and also meets angel requirements.

The last time I chatted with my other sister-in-law, it was back during campaigne time. She works in a high school as a hall monitor (do they still call them that?), and the kids love her. She treats the students with respect and consideration while maintaining high expectations for their behavoir. Because of this, her students for the most part work up to her expectations, and the students love her. She is definitely a gaurdian angel for all of them...But back to my story...

One of the people running for a political office came into her school to talk with one of the classes. Though he was a well known figure, my sister-in-law insisted that he follow protocol, and go to the office for a visitor pass. By not letting this "big wig" bend the rules as many other might have been tempted to do, she was not only protecting her students, she was showing great respect for them as well. Isn't that what angels do, love, protect, serve, and look out for our best interest? Those students are as lucky to have her in their world as I am to have her in my family.

As you are finishing up your holiday shopping, or enjoying the angel decorations around your home, take a moment to give thanks and praise to all the angels in your world. Maybe even take a few minutes to let them know how important they are to you. Doing so, would make you an angel as well now, wouldn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty

Sorry, I have not been in blog world for quite a bit of time. Glad your surgery went well and you are well. I read all the posts in one go today! Take care

Patty said...

Shankari,

Been wondering where you were, and meaning to drop you a note to say hello. Glad to hear you are back, and fine.

Thanks for checking in.