Friday, December 29, 2006

Cleaning out the fridge...................

In other words, there is no theme (at this point at least) for this post, just to catch-up (get the pun..catsup) on a varity of items.

First, my oldest called me after reading my post yesterday (peak below if you haven't visited in a while). She informed me that when she left home on Christmas night, she was "only thinking about using the personal day, and what was she suppose to do call me and tell me she had decided to use a personal day instead of going to work?" I told her, "No, she should figure out how to get my e-mail excempt from her out of office reply and then I would just think she was too busy to answer me and we would both be happy and content."

Seriously, looking at it from her perceptive, it would have been silly for her to call me. She also would not have known how I was feeling if I had not said something, and gone on thinking that she had been deceptive (or is she being deceptive now? KJ!) The lesson to be learned from this is the old "two sides to every story" one, and just because you see things one way, does not neccesarily mean that is the way that they are.

We ended up having a nice chat, blubbering and caring on about how important having a good relationship is to both of us. I felt a little bad when I found out (because she said, "People are starting to stare at me now.") she was caring on her side of the conversation in an airport waiting to catch a flight. Wonder what tragedy they thought she was discussing? Like I told her, "it is in the working out of little things that we learn how to work out bigger issues."

---------------------------------

I officially started running again yesterday, if you can call the thirty or so really slow, chunky steps I took running. There is one little spot on my left side that is not happy with picking up the pase, but it felt better yesterday than the day before so things are coming along. While I continue to mostly walk, those first steps are a start, and my first goal is to be able to go a half mile without having to stop by the end of next week. My next race is not until the end of February, and I know if I have to I can walk the 13.1 miles. I am just to lazy to want to do that as it will take longer.

----------------------------------

How are you all doing with the holiday eating? I have had little bits of sugar here and there, but I am not concerned about it because it just doesn't taste like it used to. Fat has been my enemy the last several days because it seems that every traditional dish I make has either heavy whipping cream whipped, or simply heavy whipping cream added. Last night I made an alfredo sauce with the last of it, and have thrown out all the other leftovers. My liver is already thanking me.

----------------------------------

Speaking of holiday eating...Anyone making resolutions for the new year? I am liking the path that I am traveling, so my hope for the new year is to keep on keeping on, making adjustments as they are pointed out to me rather than start a whole new set of blueprints.

--------------------------------

Regarding my blog for next year, I read an idea (I think it was from
Random,) about posting a different picture of one's self every day for three hundred and sixty-five days. RELAX! I couldn't stand to get my picture taken that many days in a row, but it got me to thinking about what if anything I could commit to do every day next year.

My first thought was to just forget it, as I am sure I would miss at least one day. How is that for positive thinking? Then I jumped right to the, "Does it count if I miss a day but make it up the next day?" Miss Legalistic says "no way!" Miss Relax and go with the flow says, "It is the thought and intent that counts. It is the process you are going after not the product." While the chances are exteamly high (based on the past ten or so years) that I will get out of bed everyday of next year,can I count on it? I could get a bad case of the flu (nope that wouldn't stop me), or brake a leg (nope I would be up hobbling around I am sure), or...okay! You get my point! There are no guarantees.

I think that it is interesting that I am afraid to commit to doing something every day of an entire year. I think it is interesting that if I overcome this fear then I go right into what could I do that is difficult enough to be a challenge, but not so difficult that I would be setting myself up for failure? This is where you come in...

What would you my reader like to see me tackle in my posts next year? I could take a cue from my title and post a daily perpective (yawn!). I could write down what I did at a certain time every day of the year (double yawn!), I could keep you informed on what I had for breakfast (which might be a good choice as I have been skipping breakfast again lately. Maybe this would keep me accountable, but gosh WOULD IT BE DULL!). See my plight? If there is something out there that you would like to se me tackle I would love to give it my best shot and see where the year takes it. Thanks for your help.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:o)

Don't you already have something to do everyday - blog about your life's journey? Commitments are not hard, it's the fight with our heads to rebel against what makes us feel 'tied down' that is hard. Be excellent at your already existing plights - that's what I think you should do. Tackling our own ignorance through a desire to grow and understand our own fears, mis-givings, etc is enough for a life time. What is up with New Years Resolutions anyway?

Good luck and right back at'cha for 'getting me'!

Patty said...

For me, it is more a fear of failure than a feeling of being tied down. God forbid I let anyone down (except for myself of course), then you would all find out I am not perfect. Hey there is something I could write about...Something I fail at everyday. I bet I would learn a lot from that one.

Anonymous said...

hmm - again, interesting. i find it humerous (amongst other things) that such successful people as yourself and your 'eldest' fear failure. what grand things you produce inspite of or because of. oh for the day when "there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Patty said...

It is funny isn't it, and no one laughts at me more than I do!

Yes, fear is a great motivator to do well. Does this make our works the product of our fears then? Mmmm, have to chew on that one for awhile.

Patty said...

Hi Julia,

How about you tell the kids that when they see you with a Pepsi they are to grab it from you and run. Then you can chase them to get it back and get your exercise in running after them? Can you imagine the mess that would make?

Seriously, why don't you start out with a schedule of Pepsi drinking that will eventually end up with you drinking none rather than go cold turkey? The same with exercise, pick something reasonable that you can really commit to and then build on it throughout the year. Not only is this much kinder to yourself, but will have a better chance at becoming a habit instead of a forgotten New Years resolution.

Happy New Year!