Saturday, December 09, 2006

Laughter, the best medicine...........................................

I was listening to a radio program yesterday, and they were talking about laughter and the role it plays in healing. When one uses humor to get through difficult times, they term that as being a "humor-being," (as in human-being).

Making fun of things, especially myself, comes pretty easy for me. Making light of difficult times is a technique I have employed for most of my life, not knowing it was benificial or in vogue. The way I saw it, was I had to laugh at the circumstances or else I would cry. I used to hate to cry in front of other people as, way back then, I used to think crying was a sign of weakness. Now I think of crying as an emotional release, and I am much more comfortable letting the tears flow at will. But to get back to laughter...

These two docs were talking about how laughter is physically beneficial to us. When one experiences a side spliting, gasping for breath, tears running down the face, bout of laughter, it exercises your insides and gets things flowing in a good way. Who would have thunk it?

So the next time you are in the middle of a grave situation and the urge to crack a funny come on, go for it, even if you do it silently to yourself (though I find things far funnier when I share them with others and the others agree with me that they are funny).

My challenge to you today, is to look for/create a reason to laugh long and hard and then take note of how you feel physically. Better yet, make it a point to have a good laugh session every day for a solid week, and see if you feel better at the end of the week then you did at the beginning of the week. My money says that you will! Be the best humor-being that you can be, and your life will change for the better.

No comments: