Thursday, August 31, 2006

P.S................................

You may or may not remember my post (July 2, 2006) about a day in the life of one of our resident's; feel free to stop reading this and refresh your memory. The important thing to remember is that she LOVED to be pampered and well groomed. Why is this important? Keep reading and you will see......

The resident that I wrote about passed away yesterday. She had been declining, but she was not showing all the signs that her time was that close. Yesterday, the Hospice aide came to give her a bed bath, and brought with her this really cool "shampoo cap" that allowed the resident to have her hair washed in bed. After the resident was cleaned and lotioned from head to toe, I rolled her hair and put on her perfume. Even though she really wasn't talking any longer I could sense her appreciation for this care.

The nurse arrived to check her out medically, and agreed that she was in the active stages of dying, but death did not apprear imminent. I called her son and gave him a report and after the nurse went, I went in took out her rollers, fixed her hair and make-up, and gave her a splash more of her favorite Channel #5 perfume. She looked very at peace, and very comfortable, even with an oxygen tube in her nose.

After I got her settled, I gathered up the stuff to clean my youngest's knee wound that she sustained during a wipe-out at cross country practice. I had to make two trips from the closet to the sofa (a distance of about twelve feet) because I forgot to grab something, but still this took less than a minute. I sat down and removed the old dressing (maybe another thirty seconds) and somthing told me to check on the resident before beginning. I went into her room, and she did not appear to be breathing. (When I had left the room a couple of minutes prior, you could hear her breathing, as well as see her chest moving as breathing had become an effort for her.) I checked for a pulse, could find none, nor hear a heart beat with a stethescope. She had gone home.

There is no way to say for certain that she was waiting to have her hair done before passing, or that she wanted to hurry up and go meet Jesus while she looked good. AND please don't think I am making light of any of this; I find it truly amazing! I just feel, that for whatever reason, she picked the exact time of her death, and was totally in charge of her ending. Not that I disbelieve that God is fully in charge of the plan for our lives, but that within that plan he has given us free-will choice, and this is what she was exercising with her timing yesterday. What are your thoughts on this subject?

I know I have said it before, but I feel fortunate to have been a part of this sacred time in a person's life, and blessed that I have been given the ability and support to care for others in this transitional part of life. I use the words transitional because I fully believe that while death is an ending of sorts, it is really just a beginning of the next stage of our lives. I would love to hear your thoughts on that idea as well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you have been told before, it is a gift that you truly give these individuals to be in a loving comfortably environment for this transitional time of their life. There is a great deal to be said for feeling at peace when the time comes and not have all the stress that comes with a more medically controlled environment. Passing on to the next phase of life should be as natural as birth so let's just skip the drugs and let what is supposed to happen just happen. God Bless you and all those like you. (ORA)

Patty said...

Thank you, for the nice comments, and for all your support.

Rajesh &Shankari said...

All I can say is you are blessed and so are the people who you take care of. My mom was with her mom when she passed away and she said that it was as tho she waited for the oppurtune moment. It might sound strange but my uncle (her son) met with a serious accident and he was in coma and when he came out of coma ,my grandma was taken to the hospital by my mom to see her son. She said she felt uneasy and her son got up from the bed and gave his and she passed away there! It was as tho she gave life to her son one more time and decided to die for him.
Ok I will see you in 3 weeks until then take care , keep running, U can do it!!!

Patty said...

Shankari,
I don't think it is strange at all. Our souls are powerful being, and our wills are just as strong. That is why we need to focus on being positive and loving. We DO have what we need to make good things happen.

I am very excited for you and your trip to India, and I am excited for me that I get to hear all about it upon your return. You and your husband take great photos, and I can't wait to see the ones you take on this trip.

Have a great time and stay safe (and patient during the long long flight).

Has to be me said...

Firstly RIP for the departed soul. Im really touched by the way u seem to have taken care of her in her last days. Also cos I dont think she is v.closely related to u, u've done a very caring & loving job & i'm sure her soul wld bless u all the time. God Bless u.

one4JC said...

My father was supposed to survive "maybe 5 or 10 minutes" off the ventilator but "more likely less time than that"...2 and 1/2 hours later when I couldn't stand to sit there watching for one more moment for that final breath I took a walk outside with my friend and boyfriend (also known as Big Red now. My pager (before I had a cell phone) started going crazy with 911...911....911. I sprinted (leaving friend and B/F in the dust)through the lobby, up a flight of stairs down 4 hallways and through the CICU unit to make it for a prayer and say my final I love you to my Daddy. I made it.

I will always believe that he tried to wait until I was gone from the room even though he had not been awake for several days.

I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my Dad in the hospital during the last 6 weeks of his life for anything in this world. We "lived" there for those weeks and learned so much about him and listened to his stories.

What a priveledge to be with those going home for the last time.

Jenna said...

My God! the way you describe it makes it sound so beautiful and peaceful- I must admit, the thought of dying absolutely terrifies me- I watched my aunt die a few years ago- and there was nothing beautiful about it I tell you that- luckily she had you in her last moments to make her feel beautiful before moving on.. you are some kind of woman to be able to handle that ...

Patty said...

HTBM, Thank you for your kind words.

Julia, I think your friend should have had the surgeon DO the bikni wax while in surgery, and under the infulence of the drugs. Never been brave enough to have one, because I think it would hurt!

One4JC,
So you also know first hand the feeling that each of us "write our own ending," as well as how comforting being with someone during that ending can be. I am glad your father was able to give you that final gift of time, as well as the memories and the stories.

Jenna,

Not that many years ago I could not even look at a dead body, let alone be comfortable around one. For whatever reason, I have been choosen to do this work, and receive the blessings that come from it. I also received the ability needed to do so, one little piece at a time. I am sorry that your Aunt's death was less than peaceful, I know how hard it is to see a loved one suffer.

Just remember you have everything inside of yourself (or just a prayer away) that you need to get through anything, and you also have a friend waiting HERE to help.